Van service

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 14 plate Movano semi auto van.
I've had it from new. Just over 100000 miles on the clock.

I've decided for now at least that it's far cheaper for me to maintain the van rather than buy a new one.

It drives well and has been a good van.

It had a full service last year. I've booked it in for a full service this year but I'm told it only needs a half service at half the price.

Is there any benefit in having a full service or am I wasting my money. ?

What do you think

Sponsored Links
I'm told it only needs a half service
By who?
What is the definition of a "half service"? How does it compare to a full service?
Has it does a year's worth of miles since its last service?
And, would you have peace of mind if you don't have it fully serviced?

your handbook should define what it is

I've had vehicles with an "intermediate service" and a "full service"

the intermediate is usually an oil and filter change, and a look round some of the other bits to see if they need doing (visibly loose or worn, may include battery check, bulbs, wipers, possibly brake fluid). Might be defined as a 12-month alternating with "full service." in the old days it might have been a 6-month minor service.

if it is just an oil and filter change you can get it cheaper at places like National Tyres or Kwikfit. They also offer a free brake check including quality of fluid (no doubt hoping you will use them if it needs changing).

Air filters and wipers you can change yourself with next to no effort

At 100,000 miles probably due a fuel filter, gearbox and diff oil change, brake fluid, turbine oil, spark plugs - things that don't need regular attention in a young vehicle. Your spare tyre is probably now too old. This can be part of the major service it will need (if not already done)

ISTR I had gearbox fluid, filter and pan, spark plugs and fuel filter done at 60,000, diff oil later but really was a "high mileage/age" service and can be listed as 100k. You might consider drive belts to avoid the inconvenience of a break.

Last edited:
It should be a ½ service by a local commercial vehicle garage. Full service was done last year.
I don't mind paying £275 For a full service but if I'm being over the top then I won't.

The Van getting on now but it's got all that I need. Locks, racking, Auto it's a comfortable drive. I just want to look after it

I really don't know what my next move is in regard to.
Prices of new vans
How useless a diesel van will be in 5 or 6 years.
And I'm getting on I might be too fúcked to drive it, or work .

Sponsored Links
When is the mot due? If you have that done you’ll get all your lights, wipers/washers, tyres, brakes, steering & suspension joints, shocks, wheel bearings, drive shafts, exhaust system and emissions, headlamp alignment plus lots more checked. Then, just have an engine oil and filter change. There's your 'half service'! If you want to upgrade to a full service, have your air, fuel and cabin filters changed. Depending on model & mileage, it maybe that at certain times/mileages you have other work done such as brake fluid change, gearbox/diff oil, cambelt etc.

Best earner for a garage is a punter that has a service and mot done at the same time. You're paying twice for a lot of the same things there but of course, they’re only being checked the once! ;)

Last edited:
Mot was done in March.

Break fault come up this last week I took it to them and they just filled the brack fluid up free.

My wheel bearings are creaking so I've said give me a price to replace them.

I accept I may have o spend a few bob every year to keep it going until things calm down.

You need to find out where the brake fluid is going. Wheel bearings don’t generally creak.

I would say the pads are wearing low and the brake fluid dropped causing the light to come on.

Andy

1900 I think it's a chain. They said there could be a fluid leak.

It may not be the bearings...

When I turn a corner from a junction it sounds as if its being pulled up like a roller coaster you know that sound

I would say the pads are wearing low and the brake fluid dropped causing the light to come on.

Andy

He said I should get a 1000 mile warning.

When it's in for a service they will check the breaks. It needs to last me until I think it's the right time to buy a new van so I'll spend what's needed

the 1.9 vauxhall engines are belt driven.
Although I didnt think they did the movano with a 1.9.

Full service then next one should be oil and filter only.
You can go oil and filter twice then full service tbh.

Depends on milage.

Other thing isn't no standard for service. Some swap oils and coolant while others don't, so that can make a difference to if its worth doing. It's a bread and butter easy earner for garage's that can over charge for it.

Sponsored Links
Back