van that will hold 8x4 sheets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i am looking for a van that will hold these sheets iether down the side or flat on the floor not on roof racks.Any suggestions i like the vivaro or traffic type of van size.If you already have these vans your overall comments on them especially fuel usage.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Might I make a suggestion .

go look for a van you like .. drive it .. if you still like it .. measure the carrying capacity of the back .. check the manufactures figures for fuel usage .. check your insurers for costing .. if all is well ..buy that one .

I personally have a Vauxhaul Movano MWB MR 3.0 ltr turbo diesel.. not too bad on fuel if I don't floor it all the time .. will carry a full load no probs and still cruise at 65 to 70 mph and return 25 mpg.. the renault master and nissan are essentially the same van.

The citron relay is apparently best for security having deadlocks as standard and an immobiliser and alarm fitted as standard.

Also depends whether you want all the gadgets on your van .. like air con , elec windows and the such like ..

set your budget and purchase wisely.. dont get a white one .. they are boring lol.
Phill

Trafic/Vivaro/Primastar as said, get the LWB.

Mine is the 140hp 2.5 turbo, LOADS of midrange grunt, its the semi-auto tiptroninc gearbox thingie type.

Still can't get a 3m length of tube inside even side door lower corner to rear right door upper corner though :evil:

DH

my mwb movano will hold 3m worktop and pipe no problems.

You must have the Short wheel base , tonka toy one ..lol

If you ddo not need anything longer than 2mtr the little one is ok .. tube on roof rack for pipes

Sponsored Links
I've got a transit 85T260 (had to go outside and check that :oops: ), anyway it's the swb low roof bog standard job with the 2.2L diesel. It will carry 8x4's and I'm getting around 40mpg, ok so it rarely goes above 55mph and has only hit 70 once in its life on an 09 plate :)

Thank you guys for taking the time to reply,i will now go have a look at the transit van.Looks a good bet if you get 40 mpg plus takes the sheets,i dont trash them iether so i hopefuly wont get much less mpg

My swb renault trafic will only load 8 x 4's diagonally, they are approx 1" too long to fit flat on the floor due to the factory bulkhead.

Looks like its gonna be a transit then,thanks all

Perhaps I am missing something here & I know this does not help right now, but........
Why don't these medium size van manufacturers (VW Transporter, Ford Transit etc.) just redesign the front seats so that they can sit higher in the cab with a thinner base?
Use different seat materials & perhaps at greater cost to manufacture.
This would then allow 8X4 sheets to slide under the front seats.
A steel retaining bar would obviously be required to stop the sheets sliding forward when the vehicle reduces speed.
The benefit of this in, say, a short wheel base VW transporter, would be that the entire vehicle could be 670mm shorter which, if put into production as an additional model, would open up an entire new market segment.
I refer to the small builder looking for the smallest vehicle that can transport half a dozen 8X4 sheets.
It seems to me that the excellent quality entire VW Caddy range could then be dropped from production as there would be a VW transporter body to satisfy every need including a disability vehicle.

Paul Shears, good evening

How about you find the MD for VW and make your pitch there?

After all there must be tens of thousands of builders across the world who would flock to such an idea?

I have the exactly same perception as yourself but I can't help feeling that I have missed something completely obvious.
It only took me a few minutes on the internet looking at dimensions to come up with this and I have absolutely no background in vehicle design.

Paul Shears,
good idea mate. dont let anyone put you off. keep getting good ideas. thanks for sharing that

Some vans have a trap door beneath the passenger seat to allow long pipes to pass through

I hired a van but there was a big plastic bulkhead fitted that took up the inches needed for an 8x4

Sponsored Links
Back