Vanity Unit, Countertop Basin - Waste leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

So my mother in law has just bought a new house and I’ve been tasked with putting the bathroom in.

I’ve plumbed all the pipes in for the toilet, sink and waste, etc. I have also installed the toilet.

I’ve come to install the new vanity unit:

They’ve got the table top sink and when I’ve drilled the hole for the waste plug there is only about 2 threads that come through from the top, which doesn’t allow a good fit for the waste so when you start to pore water it leaks.

Anyone got any advice? It’s like the waste length needs to be 100mm not 80mm. This is the waste:

Arezzo Brushed Brass Slotted Click Clack Basin Waste

It as the slot for the overflow.

Any advice would be great.

Sponsored Links
To add, to this, I’ve made the hole for waste only big enough for the waste, does this need to be made bigger to allow more thread?

Are you bonding the basin to the cabinet top ( siliconed maybe) ?
Or are you trying to use the nut that comes with the waste fitting to " clamp" the basin to the cabinet top ?
Picture would be useful.
Does the basin actually have an overflow ??

Yes I was trying to use the nut to clamp the basin to the top, but looking at this video I need to fit it differently.

Looks like the overflow is the issue.

Think I need to make the hole bigger and then silicone it to the top.

Sponsored Links
Does the basin have an overflow ? If it doesn't ,you don't need a slotted waste.
The waste connects to the basin ,not the cabinet top.

Yes it has an overflow.

Ok, so I need to make the whole bigger, to allow more thread, like the video?

The worktop has been "butchered " a bit !!
I usually fit the waste to basin ,then drop the basin in place on a bead of silicone. The hole in cabinet top only needs to be larger diameter ,it doesn't need to look like it's been attacked !!

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Ok, so the hole needs to be big enough to take the nut on the waste to the top of the basin?

Ok great, yes so at the moment I was using the waste nut to secure the unit but there were literally 2/3 threads to secure it.

I’ll make the hole bigger tomorrow.

The waste all goes onto the basin before it's sat onto the vanity unit. The hole in the vanity unit then needs to be big enough to accept the waste and nut and also leave enough space to get the trap attached to the waste and still enough space to get to the trap nut and tighten it properly.

The basin would be secured by applying some silicone along the touch points on the bottom of the basin and leave it to set for at good 24hrs

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Unless the clickclack is frequently used, it's going to seize. It's a time waster. Best waste is the type with plug.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back