Vapour Barrier - Staple or sealant or tape?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i'm going to be insulating my timber workshop shortly and i'm just wondering what is the best method for attaching the polythene vapour barrier to the the timber studwork?

I've read various methods on different forums and am slightly confused

is it ok to just staple it to the framework? or does it need additional sealing using a bead of sealant/mastic round the outside edges or possibly some polythene tape to tape over the edges and onto the framework?

Many thanks for any info

Matt

Sponsored Links
briliant! thanks very much for the quick reply!

also its probably a stupid question but which way should i overlap the sheets (assuming they are horizontal) and viewed from the inside of the building

Start at the top and then overlap that sheet with the bottom sheet. Have 300mm overlap if you can

Sponsored Links
For future visitors (I think meb97me might have built their workshop by now):

I'd use as few staples as needed to hold it in place until battens could be fitted over it. The battens form a service void to run cables and pipes in so you aren't bashing holes everywhere in your vapour barrier, reducing its effectiveness. I'd do walls then ceiling, running the ceiling barrier slightly down the walls, taping any joints not trapped under a batten. Overlap joints over a stud where possible and then trap with a batten. For a better job, use a rated glue like Orcon F to seal overlaps

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back