Varilight Satin Finish Switch Plate.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone encountered problems with these switch plates when masking around for decorating,and the finish coming away?.

Sponsored Links
I've never understood why people find it so hard to loosen off a socket or switch plate and paint under the lip.

No need for masking tape if you use emulsion and a lightly damp cloth to wipe off any spill.

As for your question, no- but how long did you leave the tape on for ? Most masking tape is very temporary 24-72 hours before it starts to fuse itself depending on make, room temp etc.

If it's pulled the finish off and the product is recent (it might have a date imprint on the inside) phone up the makers- some firms do still know what customer service is !
Last year I got a £200 HR tap set changed FOC simply by asking them for a part- so charm and verbal sweetness can work :p

I've never understood why people find it so hard to loosen off a socket or switch plate and paint under the lip.
Or even remove it entirely, so the area can be rollered over, or wallpapered without those ridiculous diagonal cuts.

For the record,it was masking tape on for about 16 hrs(overnight)..And i do slacken the plate off when papering around,and cut the silly triangles,and this does a first class job.The tape was used patch up around switch,so as not to scratch it.We can all say should have done this etc in hindsight..Bottom line is this should not happen to a reputable product i would not have thought.Tried ringing the technical line(no c.s number),to no avail...However,thanks for the replies

Sponsored Links
I would imagine that masking tape left on for 16 hours would probably remove the protective laquer on most decorative metal switch plates...... :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back