Various decorating questions...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon all

I’m about to embark on some decorating and am, by my own admission, pretty giftless in this department. I’m keen to do as good a job as possible and I have a few questions. Any responses would be gratefully received.

KITCHEN. Bit of background before we start….We live in an end terrace property and one of the walls of the kitchen is on the inside of this end wall. We do suffer from condensation on these walls. The walls are currently just painted with no lining paper. In a few places the paint is peeling but I think that this may be because the previous paint used wasn’t suitable for a kitchen with its associated condensation. We also have suffered from a leak coming through the ceiling (now fixed) but there is a stain on the ceiling.

So, my questions are:

1. How would it be best to prep the flaky bits of paint – would a simple sand to remove the loose flaky paint be sufficient then simply paint over.
2. Choice of paint – I’ve been told kitchen emulsion or diamond matt would be best. Would people agree?
3. Would the above choices help to minimise condensation?
4. Is there anything I can put on the ceiling prior to painting to avoid the water stains showing through?

PORCH. The porch has been newly built, the plaster is dry and ready for painting. There is no heating in this porch so I’m concerned about the possibility of condensation leading to the paint flaking.

My question here is that I’ve been told that I should apply a ‘mist coat’. Opinion on various forums I’ve visited is divided between using watered down emulsion (1 part water to 4 part paint) or EVA then kitchen emulsion or diamond matt. Any advice would be great.

BATHROOM I’ve stripped the wallpaper and would like to paint directly onto the plaster which looks in good condition. Again, one of the walls is the inside of the end terrace wall (if that makes sense) so it is sometimes slightly damp to the touch. There is also the added factor of steam from hot showers etc. My question is whether to use bathroom paint or an emulsion or a diamond matt.

I appreciate there are a lot of questions here but I’m keen to get it right first time to avoid a) wasting money b) having to do it a second time and c) grief from my better half due to a botched job. Happy to provide further detail if required.

Many thanks in advance.

Rob

Sponsored Links
1. How would it be best to prep the flaky bits of paint – would a simple sand to remove the loose flaky paint be sufficient then simply paint over.
2. Choice of paint – I’ve been told kitchen emulsion or diamond matt would be best. Would people agree?
3. Would the above choices help to minimise condensation?
4. Is there anything I can put on the ceiling prior to painting to avoid the water stains showing through?

1, scrape, fill and sand then spot prime filled area with watered down emulsion.
2, i use johnstones anti mould acrylic for kitchens and bathrooms but a lot of people use water based eggshell. depends on what finish you want to what paint you use.
3, no you need to sort this out before painting i.e better ventilation or insulation.
4, i tend to use zinsser BIN primer for water stains.

My question here is that I’ve been told that I should apply a ‘mist coat’. Opinion on various forums I’ve visited is divided between using watered down emulsion (1 part water to 4 part paint) or EVA then kitchen emulsion or diamond matt. Any advice would be great.

i presume you mean PVA in in this case don't use it for a primer for paint as it is not designed for this. use a watered down matt emulsion (20 - 30 percent water) for your primer. choice of paint as above but depends on what your after.

BATHROOM I’ve stripped the wallpaper and would like to paint directly onto the plaster which looks in good condition. Again, one of the walls is the inside of the end terrace wall (if that makes sense) so it is sometimes slightly damp to the touch. There is also the added factor of steam from hot showers etc. My question is whether to use bathroom paint or an emulsion or a diamond matt.

wash walls down with water to remove all traces of paste. and again paint as mentioned above.

With regard to the bathroom ifyou are painting on to bare skim, when washing the walls down use only warm water and dont be tempted to use either a mild detergent or sugar soap.

Dec

With regard to the bathroom ifyou are painting on to bare skim, when washing the walls down use only warm water and dont be tempted to use either a mild detergent or sugar soap.

Dec

agreed hence why i mentioned water and not anything else! ;)

Sponsored Links
Yes I know you did, yet some people in my experience tend to add a detergent to the water thinking that the paste will be easier to remove. So I thought it was worth a mention.

Dec

Thanks for the replies to my original post.

With regard to the porch. I have some vinyl matt paint left over from painting my bedroom. The porch has no heating - not sure if this makes a difference but I thought I'd include this information.

My questions are:

- can I use this as the mist coat? I think no and that trade matt would be best?

- can I use this as the finishing coat?

As ever, any advice would be gratefully received?

Thanks

Rob

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back