Varnish or wax?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've bought a plank of laminated pine as a table top to hold a heavy tv and plants. Whenever I water the plants I inevitably spill water onto the table top. So I need to put something onto this pine plank to protect it from this and also scuffs etc.

I am thinking yacht varnish (I think I have some tucked away) to do this job.

Or should I use some kind of wax?

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
You might want to take a look at Danish Oil also. We were tipped about this by a cabinet maker a while ago. We used it on a piece of oak we put in the bathroom as a sort of big windowsill. It's easy to put if the wood is raw and you can just wipe it on with a cloth. The first time you'll need to build up a few coats with half an hour between them. Do it somewhere ventilated. You can then top up the protection from time to time just as easily. It doesn't give a shiny finish so if you're after that it's not the right option.

Sponsored Links
I used to wax our pine table tops, then got fed up with the finish constantly being soiled, sanded it off and coated them with Ronseal Mattcoat PU varnish. They don't look varnished, and can even be waxed, but are completely impervious to red wine and other contaminants. Wipe clean.

I wouldn't use water-based varnish though, as it can give a horribly milky finish

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back