Varnishing (finished wood)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi There, I've just made a stand out of finished wood and decided to varnish it. Using a tin of Antique pin that I had already ...and thinking that I'd Done the right thing by testing the varnish on some off-cuts. I Thought it was ok but alas it was not! It seemingly was 'Off' ...I ended up cleaning it all off after a couple of days. I have bought a new tin of varnish. The stand is all dry but My question please is should I wipe it all down with 'White Spirit and then let it all dry off again before re-varnishing.
Thanks again, Keith

Sponsored Links
Have you stripped back the original finish? Without doing that you may end up having problems again.

I suspect thsy whatever the original finish was it is incompatible with what you supplied. By sanding back the original finish and wiping it off with white spirits you can remove a lot of the "contaminent", but the only way to be certain to minimise cross contamination is to give the piece a seal coat of clear French polish (this is dewaxed blond shellac dissolved in methylated spirits and can be bought readymade). The French polish acts as a barrier and is compatible with most finishes

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back