varnishing floorboard with wood worm holes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hey all

i've used this forum for quite a time but this is the first time i've never not found what i've wanted through a search (this forum has some excellent info).

Other threads mention that woodworms only like new wood in damp conditions etc but i'm still a bit worried as i reckon we still have worms (ooo-errr misses!) because we find wooddust around the affected areas (the house is about 90 yrs old with good central heating but with a damp cellar (but that's going to be a whole other thread - lol)).

anyway

we're in the process of sanding down the floor boarding in our living room and i've come across worm sign in a number of locations around the room.

what would be best

1. paint the floor with killer then sand down the floor & varnish
2. sand down the floor, put down the killer and varnish
3. sand down, put down the killer, light sand and then varnish

having never used worm killer... does it stain the wood?? we don't really want woodworm killer stains on our floor.

any ideas out there in DIY land??

Sponsored Links
If the holes are clean then they probably be old woodworm.I would personally paint your floorboards as it is,without the WW killer.The woodworms normally start from the bottom floor joists where they didn't have DPC in those days therefore damp wood attracting woodworms,so putting WW killer on top wouldn't do anything.You should have a look underneath the floorboards and treat it from there.

Cheers masona :O)

will take your advice and just get on with it - will tackle the underneath when i get round to re-doing the cellar roof (which luckily happens to be under the living room :idea: )

take it easy

Sponsored Links
Get a block of wax from a decent wood supplier and rub it into the holes. Then if you get new holes...!

Many good woodworm killers are NEE-AHSTY! Full protective gear required, vent the room, nobody to enter for 24 hours, etc.

good idea on the wax front ChrisR - will give that a go - luckily my belt sander broke at the weekend :O( (and all i've got left to do is sand upto a few of the skirting boards - B***er!).

will bear that in mind about the worm killer when i get round to it.

cheers

ps i don't recommend taking plaster down on the hottest day of the year - WHEW!!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back