Varnishing skirting boards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I fixed all the skirting in my house with screws/wallplugs and I covered the screw holes with natural woodfiller.

When I varnished the skirting then the holes that I put the wood filler in are REALLY visable.

What can I do?

Sponsored Links
helllooo s999 and welome

unfotunatly it gets worse as the pine gradualy ages the filler becomes more apparent

the only real ways to drill out the filler and plug with with plugs off wood
if youved used these http://www.toolstation.com/messages.html?code=40882&mainWin=1
if the screws are close to the surface[less than 6mm] drilling out wont work as you wont clear out enough for a plug to fit in

you cut plugs with these http://www.toolstation.com/search.html?searchstr=64444&Search=1
cut from simmilar grained wood
or live with it

Big-all pretty well says it all. Those wood fillers might look the same as the surrounding wood when they're dry but once you put the varnish on the stuff acts like end-grain and your filled holes look like knots. It wouldn't be so bad if they didn't look like perfectly round, regularly spaced knots!

Actually, I never buy wood filler for this kind of job. I save the sawdust and mix it to a thick paste with varnish. It works a treat on small cracks. It sticks to the sides and remains flexible - but it's still visible.

another solution if you just cant live with the circles is to carefully remove the filler then the screw[laborious and time consuming]and as dewy would say replace with slightly longer brass screws and cups

http://www.toolstation.com/search.html?searchstr=69705

but this will only look any good if your screws are reasonably placed and in line

good luck

Sponsored Links
big-all said:
another solution if you just cant live with the circles is to carefully remove the filler then the screw[laborious and time consuming]and as dewy would say replace with slightly longer brass screws and cups
I cheated once by cutting the screw as short as possible with superglue into the cups and then the wood. Good idea if you don't want to upset the varnish.

masona said:
I cheated once by cutting the screw as short as possible with superglue into the cups and then the wood. Good idea if you don't want to upset the varnish.

naaa thats not cheating its called ingenuity and i like it :D :D :D ;)

oo and another choices for removing filler is to take a screw /screw it in if your lucky the filler will pop out if not [some will]tap a star screwdriver rotating slowly till it locates in the screw give it a sharp tap blow out dust now if your lucky the the filler will either fall out as you do this or be pushed out like a plug as you extract the screw

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back