Bay window skirting board - how?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone help - I need to replace shabby damaged skirting 9" in our front bedroom and then stain and varnish.

Problem is how do i deal with the bay window it has same height skirting but how do you fit a wood board in this curved shape.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
in the past when i have needed to "form a curve" a former is made to the shape and then the wood is shaped gradually by applying steam to the piece and increasing the pressure so as to coax the now softened wood into the curved shape. a firm piece to act as a board back needs to be gotten then ,using blocks at each end to let it be held loosely but so you can keep the tension on the middle gradually put on tension using a steam wand to thouroughly soak with steam the length to be formed(bent)and a peice of sturdy cord to tie it off while you let the woodry when dry it will stay in its bent shape so give it some more steam and tension until the aquired shape is reached ,you could of courscheat and buy one of the modern materials and just flex a piece into position (the place where all the local traders buy there plastic soffits etc) will be able to sell you some fascia type board to shape a moulded skirting .if you do try this steam method and as it will work like a dream tell others they will be amazed thinking you are keeping up really traditional practices like these

Thanks Anon for the reply very interesting.
I have actually today taken the paint off the old board and noticed that the wood is scored top to bottom every 6 inches right around the bay so i presume this is how was originally fitted by giving the wood more flexibilty. Your suggestion though sounds neater and will post back to let you and others know how I get on. Many thanks again.

Sponsored Links
that is actually how it is done,cut saw marks in the back of the board half way through,the tighter the curve the closer together you saw the grooves, fit the board round then fill any small gaps with filler...ian

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back