Advice on varnishing/waxing/staining skirting boards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I'm currently re-flooring the downstairs of my house with Walnut laminate. I've removed all the old skirting board (white painted), which was fitted with no nails kinda material. My intention is to buy new pine skirting board and varnish (or wax/woodstain) a walnut colour and fit.
This is my first experience of fitting skirting boards.
I've looked around on different sites and have a couple of questions:
1. Should I use Varnish, wax or woodstain?
2. I've bought an electric/metal/stud detector, should I nail/screw or no nails onto wall
3. If screw, how do I cover up screw hole? I've read that filler doesn't cover very well when varnishing, so to counter sink and plug...how do I do this? What do I need to buy?
4. Do I stain/varnish or wax before fixing to wall? and do I cover both sides?
5. Should I also stain ends after mitre?

Thanks in advance for the advice

Cheers

Danny

Sponsored Links
Danish oil , quick and easy uniform coverage, can be mixed with wood dye to adjust colour.I use foam adhesive as it accommodate uneven surface and requires no making good. Mitres and scribing needs to be accurate to look good.(This is something you may struggle with if first time.)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back