Varying quotations for house rewiring.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I've busy collecting quotes together for re-wiring a 120 year old terrace house. It's got the normal two floors and a loft conversion. I'm putting in CAT 5E as well, with a total of around 26 doubles. - It has to have a new consumer unit as well.

Asking around for quotes we've only got 2 so far, one for 2700 and one for 4300 (both without VAT). The higher one comes from a recommended part p registered chap, and the other was a link from the niceic website. I'm actually struggling to find other quotes, (some never come back , others never come around in the first place).

I'm trying to work out why one was so much more than the other, when I gave them the same info. The 2700 quote said it would take 3 days, whereas the second guy said he would do it in 2 fixes, and in between a plasterer (not in quote) would come in and tidy up the snagging, and then he would come in and finish up - so he said the total job may take 8 days.

Any ideas? I'm really confused - I don't want to over pay, but he does come recommended.

Thanks for reading.

damien

Sponsored Links
Maybe the recommended guy charges £2,000 per day?

Good grief, that's more than I usually earn in a week ;)

So are both too much ? How long should a rewire like this take? I guess the answer will be "it depends on the house". Hmmmm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back