Vauxhall flat tyres - alloy wheel problem?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all - this looks like a great site I hope you can help.

I last night bought a Vauxhall Cavalier GLS, 1995 1.7 turbo diesel and this morning the tyres are down. I know the seller, who said this might happen if I park it on a camber and I should use an air pump to inflate the tyres. Trouble is I don't get how my air pump works properly (seems to be a pathetic blowing out of air and I can't see how the pressure gauge works) and am concerned about driving on flat tyres because he said they might pop off the alloy wheels - which would obviously be dangerous!

So am loathe to drive to a garage to pump up the tyres, and anyway, will that mean when I get to my destination (ie. work) I'll have to do the same thing all over again?

There is some wear on the trim which I guess is causing this problem. I don't know if I should contact a garage and get them to look at it - what sort of costs am I looking at? Should I be thinking about new wheels and how much do these cost? Or am I just being stupid with the air pump and should be able to work this out?

Many thanks

Mary

Sponsored Links
mary123 said:
I know the seller

And is he known for playing practical jokes? Either that or all your tyres are punctured or valves are leaking and I don't see what parking on a camber has to do with it. If the wheels are responsible then they are either porous (virtually impossible) or they must be visibly badly damaged. They're not square are they?

Yeh well he's my brother-in-law so I know it wasn't malicious - I guess he gave the advice in good faith. Anyway, I've just taken it to the garage who pointed out of course tyres that are going down are always going to look worse on a camber. Guessing they've just got a puncture, so its not the end of the world after all.
Thanks for the replies though - made me realise there was no need to panic about imminent danger - but then that could've just been me.
Cheers.

Sponsored Links
turns out the wheels are porous but new ones not needed yet. very reasonable garage costs - thank god.

mary123 said:
turns out the wheels are porous but new ones not needed yet.

Any more info on this? Surely you don't have to reinflate all tyres every day? Have these wheels ever held pressure? A mate has been a tyre fitter for years and claims never to have seen a case like yours!

However see this: http://www.finishing.com/125/72.shtml

Link gives more likely culprit!!

Mary, the pump, you push the end over the valve hard, then flick the lever over to lock it in position. The guage wont work unless you have some pressure in the tyre.
They say the wheels are porous??? :confused:
Could be a build up of corrosion and flaking paint on the bead seat? Also check they have the correct valves fitted, should be bolt in valves on alloys.

Or they could be split rims that are leaking. Dirt or paint/ corrosion in the bead could also be a problem, had this several times when I used to go off roading in my 4x4.

Jason

I think Hitachimad is right, I had the same problem with a Citroen ZX and my friendly local tyre fitter cleaned up the rims and painted on some sealant.
johnwr

LOL, That's the funniest post I've read in a while. Stale Air and porous Tyres!!! Agree with cleaning the rims though, my friend had this problem.

I am amazed, I worked in the brake industry testing brakes for 25 years, and I never knew that stale air in the tyres affected brake performance. I hope Tarquin will reply and give us the lowdown on the phenomenon.
regards johnwr

Sponsored Links
Back