Vauxhall Meriva 2011 air con fault and coolant fan query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, I have a 2011 meriva with ac (just recently purchassed) first day of going to use the air con and although light comes on no ac. Took it and had it regassed fully, no sign of leaks and noe full to correct levels, still not working. When turning on ac the revs appear to try a climb for a second then nothing and no ac.

Does anyone know if the cooling fan should start when ac is pressed as it does not. Also anyone know what temperature it should cut in at when coolent reaches certain temp ?. It is not showing as overheating although it reaches running temperature very quick. The gauge seems to sit perfect but engine seems to be really hot.

Two queries any advise greatly recieved. When i got it I thought th ac was working but it wasnt a hot day so it may actually not have worked at all.

Sponsored Links
The cooling fan(s) will cut in automatically when they are needed, i.e if the engine temperature rises over around 90 degrees or the air conditioning condenser (the other rad) requires cooling.
So - if your system is gassed up and not working then check that the interior fan is on at least position 1 and the internal temperature is set to cold. I this doesn't get the system working, maybe the compressor is faulty.
John :)

The cooling fan(s) will cut in automatically when they are needed, i.e if the engine temperature rises over around 90 degrees or the air conditioning condenser (the other rad) requires cooling.
So - if your system is gassed up and not working then check that the interior fan is on at least position 1 and the internal temperature is set to cold. I this doesn't get the system working, maybe the compressor is faulty.
It has been fully gased up in the correct way, shows no leak, just does not cool.
When the AC is called for by pressing button the revs go up which suggests to me the compressor is operating. I have put an OB11 meter on and got the actual revs, tick over sits betwee 770 and 780 then when call for ac jumps up to between 800 - 820. The interior fan is working and set on various speeds to test. The radiator fan still does not cut in or seem to come on. I sat with it running and the ETC on the meter reached 105 and still no fan cut in ehich seems high, alth the temperature gauge sits bang in the middle and no warning lights.

Anyone able to confirm when the fan should cut in, ive pulled the fan resistor and it has continuity on both circuits which i presume is a fast and slow speed.

If you can see the air compressor, maybe you can see it freewheeling when it's switched off, and then engaging when switched on?
There are also air pressure switches in the A/C system that could prevent things working if they are faulty.

Sponsored Links
I am not really sure how to find or see that. I am pretty concerned about the fan not cutting in also. The temp gauge go very quick to 90 degrees and never goes above it on dash gauge. I think it is to hot and still not cutting in. I plugged a OB11 meter in and read the live data, the acrual ETC went up to 107 and neither the gauge on the dash move beyond 90 and the fan still never came on. If the fan has an issue i guess this would impact the air con working. The fans resistor seems intact and has continuity. Also fuses all seem ok

Did whoever refilled the aircon ever test it afterwards and did it work then ?

Did whoever refilled the aircon ever test it afterwards and did it work then ?
No it was done at a garage that offers recharges and uses the correct methods of emptying and recycling, pressure test and fill correct manufacturers levels. It confirmed all this was done and no leak, but unfortunately no cool air either. They do not diagnose or carry out other faults with AC system, but did confirm all is definitely correctly charged

If the system is gassed up correctly and the compressor is running with the interior fan on, I can't see why things aren't cooling down.
I am wondering though, if the fresh gas came straight back out again.....:eek:
The likes of Kwik Fit charge you for a regas, but if the A/C system is faulty there's no charge - which means that they at least test it for a while.

If the system is gassed up correctly and the compressor is running with the interior fan on, I can't see why things aren't cooling down.
I am wondering though, if the fresh gas came straight back out again.....:eek:
The likes of Kwik Fit charge you for a regas, but if the A/C system is faulty there's no charge - which means that they at least test it for a while.
The system measures and empties what is in the car, it then pressure tests for leaks and once passed and only if passed it then fills back to correct specification programmed by manufacturer and spec of vehicle. After completion and confirmation it prints out. So they are fairly certain its in system now. Inside fan works fine, exterior fan does not come on when AC is pressed on (which seems unusual to me as a non mechanic) going to have to have it booked into a garage for full check and diagnosis.

I've never had aircon regassed without the operator checking to see cold air is coming out of the vents. Maybe the garage just take your money and leave you to find out it doesn't work later

I've never had aircon regassed without the operator checking to see cold air is coming out of the vents. Maybe the garage just take your money and leave you to find out it doesn't work later
they confirmed it was not giving an cold air, but also they did not know why, they do not offer repair.

To me it looks like the compressor clutch is spinning as soon as the engine starts.

Keep an eye on the compressor, engine running, A/C switched off. Get someone to switch the A/C on when you observe the compressor. You may see - or certainly hear - the clutch engage.

Hello to me it looks like the clutch is spinning as soon as you actually turn the engine on (even without the AC button on) when button pressd on it does make the engine rev slightly more but visually no change or noise no change. Hope to get it booked in to have it checked along with the cooling fan as that also does not run with AC calling and I have yet to hear or see it operate at any time since i got it a month ago. The cold i guess may be the reason, but all others i have had before tend to run when ac is called for.

Sponsored Links
Back