Vauxhall Vectra stalling problem.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a 1997 Vauxhall Vectra 1.8GLS which for a little while now has had a problem with stalling when i press the clutch down to slow and change down gear. This mainly happens when i'm going very slow so as to turn a corner or come to a stop.

I know very little about cars, thats why i'm here. However, the only details i know are that the idle motor was replaced a year ago. I thought it may be the catalytic converter but my car passed an MOT today no probs, all emissions were fine. The garage said that the engine light was coming on now and again but this was'nt a fail.

Theres definately oil in it.

A friend of mine said today that it could be something as simple as dirt from the tank where i've driven the car about with very little petrol in it. He said there is a cleaner that you can add to the fuel to help out with this.

Anyway, like i said i know nothing so hopefully someone here has an idea.

Thanks in advance,

Calv.

Sponsored Links
Forget the cleaners in the tank, they make very little (if any) difference. The usual cause of this sort of problem is the Idle Speed Control valve. Usually it gets gummed up / sticky, spray carb cleaner into it and give it a good wash out. Similar treatment to the throttle body (around the butterfly) is also beneficial.

I don't know the underbonnet layout of your car, the ISCV will take air from the air cleaner side of the throttle butterfly and admit it into the engine side of same.

Other possible causes are coil packs / plugs / ht leads etc.

Regards - J

hi,

I assume you have the 1.8 ecotec engine? I had similiar problems with my 1995 vectra. The fault was never curred by the main dealer but my local garage knew all about the problems. The ISCV or the idle speed control valve gets dirty and i found that it started to cause problems after 8000 miles following a service. The Engine management light would come on for no reason while idling and then go out when accelerating.

The solution when it came to a service the garage would remove the ISCV and drop it into a bucket of diesel and then refit it as the last job of the service, ran perfect after that.

It was one of a string of problems with that vectra!

GC

Sponsored Links
johnb80 said:
Forget the cleaners in the tank, they make very little (if any) difference. The usual cause of this sort of problem is the Idle Speed Control valve. Usually it gets gummed up / sticky, spray carb cleaner into it and give it a good wash out. Similar treatment to the throttle body (around the butterfly) is also beneficial.

Just wanted to say a huge thanks for the advice, i got a mechanic (as i was'nt confident doing it myself) to do the above proccess and my car is now working better than when i bought the thing! :D Going like a dream it is, i don't think i've driven it "stall free" for about a year now.

Thanks for that, much appreciated. Oh yeah, cost me £20 done and dusted, better than a £170 replacement from the dealer.

Calv.

Back