Vauxhall Vivaro cold start and miss firing first start up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone. New to the forum. Wonder if anyone can help or have info on a similar problem. 05 Vauxhall Vivaro 2.5 Sportive. Unfortunate accident went into flood water and stalled. It was re started and reversered out.
Now on first start up in mornings is missing, white and blue smoke emmitted. After about 5 min everything clears and runs fine. Injectors have been checked, diagnostics report no fault and cat checked. No changes. Suggestions I will have to remove head. But it is running fine with no silly noises and rev range up to 4000 (hits Limiter) Any suggestions appreciated

Sponsored Links
Thanks for reply. That is the next step. Will post the results. T

Had the Compression test done. They reported a small puff of smoke coming out of No4 Valve. Still suggesting removing the head ect. I am still not too happy about this. The engine starts first time no rattly noises, clears in 5min and runs fine. I would have thought if a valve or rod had gone there would be much more evidence of bad running ect.
Trying to think of what next to check. One suggestion was a low pressure injector but these have also been checked. Fuel contamination has also been checked. Diagnostics are showing no fault. I am prepared for the worst but wont go down that road until all other avenues checked. Anyone any ideas much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
It's possible you have a broken valve spring or something which isn't closing properly when the car gets warm.
Sounds like head off is the way forward now

Neo, Thanks. You have said what I have been thinking. Just been trying to convince myself it could be something else.
Just wondering how long I can leave it, it is a big job.
Ughh :(

going through a flood a sucking up water aint good. If it stopped dead and has weakened something (hopefully just a valve or spring) then it may not be long before it breaks totally and makes a proper mess of the engine!

Neo. Yes I concur. It needs doing sooner than later. If I said I wasn't the one who did it No one would beleive me. But it was my partner honest. :LOL:

i had the very same fault it turned out to be the pre heater plugs after i did every thing in the book changed the pre heater plugs fired first time would not start from cold but as soon as it got hot it was fine changed the plugs and bingo :LOL:

i did the same with a diesel rover a few years ago. Car always smoked when started but after a few mins ran fine with no smoke. It lasted another 4 years and an extra 85000 miles. When i took the head off it had a bent valve. When cold it would stick open but when hot would allow it operate correctly

Hi, Sorry but I'm new to this forum, and can see this is an old conversation. But i have done the exact same thing as rovman in my Vivaro. I went through a flood which stalled the engine. Which i eventually got it restarted, but now smokes real badly on cold start-up (smelling of unburnt diesel). After diving up the road for about 1 mile the smoke clears & the van runs fine all day. I have already done glow plug too and checked they heated up good too. I'm just curious to know if you fixed it & what you did? Any advice would be most welcome. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Back