veggies not included.

Eddie M said:
The standards applied to british veal however do not cover EU wide conditions. I believe one of the worst offenders were the dutch.

Buy British. Look for the "Red Tractor" mark. Assures quality and reliability.

I don't see why we import any meat that we can get at home. I understand that demand may exceed supply of British meat, but surely foreign imports should be to supplement current stocks, not replace.

The most recent things in the news was salmonella in imported eggs. Not one news report said "why the f'in hell are we importing eggs anyway?"

Sponsored Links
BoxBasher said:
Buy British. Look for the "Red Tractor" mark. Assures quality and reliability.
What exactly does the red Tractor guarantee? British food? Or can it apply to imported food that has been packed here? Organic or chemical grown? Free range or factory? Small family company or Industrialised factory farming? Good ham or that injected with salty water? Grass fed beef or fed on concentrates? Have the chickens been stuffed with antibiotics? If chickens are living in densities of 25kg per sq metre, how much space is that per bird?

Sponsored Links
JohnD said:
What exactly does the red Tractor guarantee?
Applies only to BRITISH MEAT.
http://www.redtractor.org.uk/

Guarantees:
Identification and Traceability, Welfare, Health, Nutrition,
Housing & Handling Facilities, Transport, Environmental Care, Farm Procedures.

also the "five freedoms"

1. freedom from thirst, hunger and malnutrition
2. freedom from discomfort
3. freedom from pain, injury or disease
4. freedom from fear and distress
5. freedom to display most normal patterns of behaviour

See for yourself.

In relation to beef (which includes veal) Assured British Meat Standards

WYL why do you say we need meat to live, there are millions of people who eat no meat. The more I hear about the way animals are kept the less I like to eat meat. I used to eat a lot but I had a bacon buttie this morning and I bet it's the first meat I've had in 5 or 6 days and I don't miss it at all.

hermes said:
WYL why do you say we need meat to live, there are millions of people who eat no meat. The more I hear about the way animals are kept the less I like to eat meat. I used to eat a lot but I had a bacon buttie this morning and I bet it's the first meat I've had in 5 or 6 days and I don't miss it at all.
We are omnivores, we eat meat (it's in our 'nature' - biology). There are substitutes for the necessary bits in meat we, as omnivores, need: beans etc.
The original question was if we needed a conscience when eating something other (bambi) than 'regular' meat (pork, beef, etc) or that we just should 'go on with it'.
We, modern men, are spoiled i.e. the slaughter of the meat is done behind closed doors - hence questions like these. Wasn't it only 40 - 50 years ago many slaughtered their own pigs etc?

hermes said:
The more I hear about the way animals are kept the less I like to eat meat.

Have you ever actually been on a farm? been to an abbatoir?

As will all things, it is only the bad things that are publicised. From a media point of view, the only good news is bad news. Animal rights campaigners (some are more like terrorists) spread propaganda based on cruel practices that happen in other countries, (and in some isolated cases in UK) and try to justify their argument by saying "all meat is cruel".

I'm anti-cruelty, but I'm not anti-meat. I believe there is a very distinct difference between the two. Regulated industry ensures the upkeep of standards that lie close to my ethics/morals.

[On a seperate but related issue... Chastisement of children, there is a difference between discipline and physical abuse. It is the abuse that should be abolished, not discipline. Look at the state of the world we are in now... does the "naughty step" keep some of these little gits in line?]

Game meat tastes like meat used to taste like before supermarkets and the such like decided to add "enhancements" mainly for their benefit not ours.

BoxBasher said:
'm anti-cruelty, but I'm not anti-meat. I believe there is a very distinct difference between the two.

Me too but I don't think anyone who buys meat from a supermarket can be really be anti-cruelty (I assume you don't btw?) as you have no idea about where its actaully from or the kind of life the animal had.

Kelinik said:
I don't think anyone who buys meat from a supermarket can be really be anti-cruelty (I assume you don't btw?)

I get beef/lamb from a couple of farmers I know/shoot for. Meat always tastes better if it had a name. Its also a lot nicer eating what you have caught/shot yourself, much more satisfying.

I do buy stuff from the supermarket/butchers, but only British and only tractor marked.

Tim West said:
Game meat tastes like meat used to taste like before supermarkets and the such like decided to add "enhancements" mainly for their benefit not ours.
Tim's right, "real" meat tastes better. Fresh eggs (from friends hens) taste completely different (better), home grown veg has much more flavour.

One thing that gets on my t*ts is when you do buy meat from a supermarket, you get a nice 1" thick slab of "processed" fat, which is added supposedly to aid cooking. It's obviously just there to bump the weight up for £5.90/kilo.

Sponsored Links
Back