Velux at front

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Do you need PP to have a velux installed on roof on the front elevation?

Sponsored Links
No, not unless you're in a conservation zone, or have restrictions mentioned in your deeds

Even if its going into a new roof on a new extension? Its not on the plans, so my builder thinks you can only have them at the back if its not on the plans.

Ah, that might be different. Best to ask the planning officer if the build is underway

Sponsored Links
You either need an amendment to the approved plan, or an application for the window. It does not matter if the window is front or back, it's not approved

Hmmmm... seems to be at odds with itself. Velux website and various online resources say pp isn't required........ but I'm guessing that applies to existing roofs. I suppose I could get the builder to trim the openings ready for the windows and then tile the roof and get it signed off. Once its signed off, I could just remove the tiles and fit the windows.

Note that 'signing off' isn't something that planning departments do.

What i mean is once the completion certificate is issued and the 'officials' have left....... what would prevent me fitting a velux at that point?

Nothing, but you'll yourself open to possible action from the planners as it would be unlawful development. Depends on if your neighbours are a bunch of grasss/don't like you and dob you in and if the planners are a bunch of knobs. Absolutely worse case scenario is you'd have to remove them and stick some tiles back.

Last edited:
Would it not come under PD once the completion cert is issued?

I wonder if I just approached the planners and asked the question, what they would say..... don't wanna draw attention if they will refuse it and then cause them to come 'checking'. Another option is just to risk it and hope it never becomes an issue.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back