Velux EDL top flashing question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I have a Velux centre pivot 78x98 window with EDL flashing to install on an existing slate roof. The manual is unbelievably bad IMO but I've been able to piece every aspect of it together with the help of videos etc except for this, the second to last step.

From the diagram attached you can see Part 7 is made up of two bits. Let's call them the big bit and the little bit. What's puzzling me is what you do with the little bit. The diagram makes it look like it sits into the lip of the big bit. The red arrow in the main picture seems to be pointing somewhere else entirely.

What purpose does it serve?
Why there a dashed line around the little bit in the main picture?
What is the top right picture (with the X through it) trying to say?

I'm guessing anyone who knows the answer will already know what the bits look like but can take photos if it helps.

Cheers
Gav

Sponsored Links
Hi all

I

What purpose does it serve?
Why there a dashed line around the little bit in the main picture?
What is the top right picture (with the X through it) trying to say?

Cheers
Gav
dashed line is just to highlite it. It's some sort of stiffener? ..with the x through it means don't bend the tab shown with the thingy X'ed not there in place . Not done one myself , just looks right as to what I said . Hope it helps ;) Ps that red arrow is a red herring. ignore it

[

dashed line is just to highlite it. It's some sort of stiffener? ..with the x through it means don't bend the tab shown with the thingy X'ed not there in place . Not done one myself , just looks right as to what I said . Hope it helps ;) Ps that red arrow is a red herring. ignore it

If you're right these are the worst instructions I've ever seen. What puzzles me about the stiffener theory is why they didn't just manufacture the two parts as a single unit. It would still fit in the box easily.

Anyway, we'll have to wait and see. Thanks for your help.

You're welcome - and right about the instructions -

Sponsored Links
That thin piece that you are referring too is there to use if you have very thick slates and not necessary if you have normal 5mm-8mm slates.

That thin piece that you are referring too is there to use if you have very thick slates and not necessary if you have normal 5mm-8mm slates.

That worked out well then because I did use it and I do have very thick slates.

If you're right these are the worst instructions I've ever seen.
Velux fitting instructions are the simplest there is. A gibbon could follow them. They are fool proof.

The actual system I was really impressed with and I'm sure it's probably as close to foolproof as you'll get. The instructions describing the system are dreadful. Do you notice we're using words to communicate now rather than pictures? Do you notice how well that's working?

Velux, like IKEA, can't be arsed to translate their instructions into forty different languages. Saving money is the only reason they're like that and you'd have to be mental (or a gibbon) to think they're better for not having ANY words.

Anyway, I got there in the end thanks to other threads on here and velux's video.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back