Velux - ridge disturbance and support question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m planning on fitting a couple of Velux’s as the next stage of my loft conversion, and could do with some advice from the experienced people here.

Tiles are Marley Ludlow Plus and it looks like the top of the frame is around the third tile from the ridge.

I really don’t want to disturb the ride tiles:

1. Is there any way to remove/replace the tile without jacking up the tile above? Could I grind off the lip that overlaps the batten and use a couple of bolts to secure them back?

2. Supporting rafters before cutting for trimmer; is it correct to support a rafter with a well spiked 2x4 support timber down to the floor?

3. Is there an accepted maximum distance from the window to the trimmers?
4. Velux spec a minimum flashing overlap with the bottom tile. Any way I can get away with 50mm less overlap, like a flashing extension?

Thanks in advance. The help I’ve got from here has been absolutely invaluable in this project!

Cheers,

Lofty

Attachments

• window xsection.jpg
    window xsection.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 264
Sponsored Links
I have seen a thousand different labour saving approaches to fitting skylights
that I have been called out to fix, that I now do not even bother to attend.
crack on and re-write the velux manual.

Last edited:
The Velux bottom flashing can be extended with lead if you wish. Velux even supply an extender when using the plain tile flashing kit. If you follow the instructions i.e. set the Velux bottom bearing batten 80mm up from the top edge of the tile, then this should position the window so that the bottom flashing works perfectly. As said, follow the instructions and the installation is idiot proof.
As long as the window fits between the trimmers it should work. However, if the gap is too tight some of the accessories may not work.
If the tiles are not nailed then they should slide up, but you may find that the top flashing is long enough to warrant disturbing the next course up. Be prepared to re-bed those ridge.
If the Velux is of modest size you will find that the roofing laths will go some way to holding the timbers in place, but you need to use common sense regards temporary support.

Last edited:
I have seen a thousand different labour saving approaches to fitting skylights
that I have been called out to fix, that I now do not even bother to attend.
crack on and re-wright the velux manual.

Can imagine there's a lot of seriously bodged installs out there - would like to avoid.

Could do with a laugh, fancy sharing some of of your skylight horror stories?

Cheers, LA.

Sponsored Links
push up the third course from the top, nailed or not they will go.
trim the timbers to suit,
slip the back gutter flashing up under the tiles adjusting the underlay as you go .Then fit the window and the rest of the flashing kit
finally pull the previously pushed up tiles down .

I once saw a velux fitted upside down but unfortunately that was a few years back before I had camera phone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back