Need a Velux refresh?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys just wanted to know the best way to square a velux window frame.

Fitting one tomorrow with a friend and just wanted to get a better insight on how to do it, I know the basics but the thing that's bothering me is the finished look form the outside, ie, I want the flashing to run in line with the tiles.

Do I measure up from the tiles or battens, or maybe square of the roof rafter for the bottom timber ? Getting myself confused now but if anyone can understand what I mean that would be very much appreciated.

Thank you

Sponsored Links
if you want the window to be square with the tiles then you simply put the bottom trimmer in level with the tilling batten.

Usually I cut the rafter directly over a tile batten and fix the trimmer there.

if you want the window to be square with the tiles then you simply put the bottom trimmer in level with the tilling batten.

Usually I cut the rafter directly over a tile batten and fix the trimmer there.

Thanks palaceray, this house has the old feather edge battern.
So basically I just get my measurements and put my first 4x2 bottom trimmer in first ( in line with the feather edge? ) then square of that.

Does that sound about right.

Sponsored Links
Yes just stay paralel with the featheredge

Cheers palaceray, one other thing if you don't mind helping me with, when framing a pitched roof for an extension how would you square it then? There's no tiles or battern on yet.

Cheers fella

From the facia or the ridge. Generally the bottom of the window should be aprrox 25mm above a course of tiles.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back