Velux window in wet room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the process of my extension being built and my builder has advised that my proposed velux window in the new bathroom would be prone to condensation. The velux is to be positioned in the wet room directly above the shower area which will be approx 1.5m x 1m (width). There will be a window with latch in the rest of the bathroom and as standard a large fan extractor to help reduce steam.

Would this be an issue with the window and condensation?

If so is there any other measures which can be made to reduce the probability of condensation?

Would it make more sense not to have a velux in a shower area at all?

Any advice much appreciated.

Ta

Sponsored Links
Would it make more sense not to have a velux in a shower area at all?
Not sure if this will help you, I have the electric Velux Integra (upvc type) in my shower room, if the fan is above the shower & powerful I can't see a problem, but to be fair my velux is 15' high from floor level and slighty to the right. Also I boxed the shower in with a ceiling and the fan is in there taking all the steam away maybe you could look at that afterward if still having problem

The main issue with steam in Bathrooms these days is the introduction of power showers and high pressure systems in general supplying showers.

I have done many Bathrooms where steam has never been an issue with a conventional gravity fed shower but as soon as a pump is added to the set up, the air in the room really does get disturbed so instead of there being a layer of steam hovering at the top of the ceiling, it is much lower down and covering the whole room, a huge problem with Mirrors.

Sometimes even a good quality centrifugal fan isn't good enough to clear the room quickly, I would look into the technical specs of each fan and get the highest spec you can.

A couple of years ago I used to specify a company Called FAS (fresh air systems) these had the top spec of any fan available but my supplier couldn't get hold of them any more. They were so good that cutting 1/2" off the bottom of the door was a must.

Hope this helps.

thanks for your thoughts.

I forgot to mention that as part of the extension I am having a combi boiler installed. This will be situated on the adjacent wall to the shower so I reckon the shower will be under maximum pressure. The velux will be positoned fairy high in the pictched roof, I'd say around 10ft high.

Obviously the velux is a bonus for the light but not essential. Other windows in the walls isnt really an option with it being on the ground floor.

Wouldnt having the velux open slightly greatly reduce the risk of long term mould, etc?

Mark

Sponsored Links
I really wouldn't be overly worried about putting the Velux window in your bathroom, as mentioned, just aget a 5hit hot extractor and it will be fine

If you leave the window in the vent position that will help. And as has been said use the UPVC Velux, I've just fitted two of these to a gum attached to an indoor swimming pool so they can be wiped down if damp/meldew becomes an issue.

Jason

The velux will be positoned fairy high in the pictched roof, I'd say around 10ft high.
I can't see a problem then, my velux opened on auto before I have a shower, if it's raining outside it will shut it auto but it will leave the vent open unless you want it shut which can be done.
Obviously the velux is a bonus for the light but not essential. Other windows in the walls isnt really an option with it being on the ground floor.
You can't beat natural light and fresh air ;) I got fed up with switching the internal light
Wouldnt having the velux open slightly greatly reduce the risk of long term mould, etc?
Yes and also get a fan with a timer

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back