Vent packed with old newspaper??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello folks, whilst getting ready to paint our upstairs box room to make it into a nursery, I unscrewed a metal grill vent, and found a small cavity packed with old newspaper. I'm fairly certain fungus-riddled newspaper isn't ideal for a baby's room but should I just clear it out completely (and risk a draft) or is there anything else I could to that would stop a draft but still allow a bit of air to circulate? It's an old 1900s terrace house. No existing damp in that room that I'm aware of.

Also, while I'm here, there are some air ducts below the bay window downstairs. I've been told they do a vital job so don't block them up but I would like to make them a bit more attractive, especially as some have fallen out. Any ideas where I can buy black disc vent covers (preferably metal)?

Thank you kindly.

Sponsored Links
The holes are "pots" set in the wall to dry out damp (it's a point of contention as to whether they work) you should keep them open I doubt you will find any replacement grilles as I think they were all one piece supposed to work like those pot watering things you put in pot plants and fill with water but in reverse! You could try Googling soffit vents they are about 60mm in dia most snap in to a hole but you might find some flat stick on ones, usually black, white or brown plastic.
As to the hole I guess you could just fit a hit and miss vent that can be adjusted as required. I suspect that if the room has been unused but then has a child in there all night condensation might well become a problem, so I would avoid blocking up completely. You could I suppose put a small amount of loft insulation in the hole but I would not like to have loose glassfibre wafting into a kids bedroom myself, I would go for the non itch stuff made from recycled plastic bottles most DIY stores sell it now. It looks and feels rather like the Kapok stuffing you get in puffa jackets and the like.
As said I would keep it clear with a hit and miss vent to see how if goes first people breath out a lot of moisture (not to mention the possibility of wet bedding) and the last thing you want in a child's room is mould.;)

Yes, remove the old newspaper from the vent opening and vacuum it out.
Then fix (drill, plug & screw) an appropriately sized eg 10" x 6" Hit & Miss Vent, aka Adjustable Vents, over the opening.

What you are calling vents on the exterior brickwork are actually pure rip-off nonsense called "The Holland System".
It was claimed that it prevented rising damp without the need for a DPC.
It does nothing but disfigure brickwork and cost a packet.
Best practice is to remove them, & replace the damaged brickwork.

Your vents for venting below the suspended floor can be seen lower down.

Have you had a damp problem in the bay or the floor joists?

Thank you for those wise words. Good idea about the soffit vents and recycled insulation. The metal vent I unscrewed is a (flimsy) hit-and-miss type one so I'll just keep that. I'll do a bit more Googling and see what pops up, cheers.

Sponsored Links
Good point, I see what you mean about the airbricks below the 'pots'. Yes, there's a bit of damp in the bay and the wall adjacent to the bay. All the houses in the street have it, so I'm resigned to it really. Haven't dared to inspect the floor joists.

Like vinn says they are considered a bit of a con worth getting a reputable (maybe one a neighbour has used) damp company in to advise on you dpc and perhaps repair the brickwork at the same time.
Thanks vinn I didn't know what the were called before.(y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back