1950's skinny walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening,

We've just bought our 1950's house and I'm in the process of removing a chimney breast but the side of the chimney breast was acting as part of my bedroom wall. Didnt think much of it until I started looking for replacement blocks and cant find 65mm thick blocks anywhere! They're are really skinny! The gap is about 1 and a half bricks wide.

Few questions then:

1. I was thinking that I could buy some of these bricks as they're 65mm tall and turn them on their side to get the right thickness...? (Bricks)

2. What are this skinny grey 65mm blocks called? All the walls are made of them. Guessing its a profile that's no longer used.

3. If I used the above bricks, would one of the metal wall tying kits be suitable enough to tie it into the wall on the left pf the photos? (Wall ties)

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
2. What are this skinny grey 65mm blocks called? All the walls are made of them. Guessing its a profile that's no longer used.
Pertition block walling. Waste of time and effort trying to work with them once you have taken a hammer to the wall. We usually knock 'em down and build stud walls.

Yes you could use bricks on their sides or block pavers which are thinner. Use fish tail ties for the party wall.

But first check that the whole wall has not loosened and become wobbly, as if so it's as nosey says - knock down and replace in timber.

Thanks for the replies! To be honest, getting rid of the whole wall would be my ideal (heavy wall on also skinny floor joints) but it’s still very solid and the gap I need to fill is only 1-ish brick wide, so would feel like a lot more work to remove completely.

Would I need to seal the end of the wall with a pva solution before putting in the new blocks, or just use mortar alone?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back