Vent pipe and toilet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,

My landlord recently refurbished my bathroom and removed the vent pipe that was connected to the toilet so now it only has the one main wc pan connection pipe going into the main soil stack. Ive noticed the water level has decreased slightly and not sure if the removal of the vent pipe has caused this.

They have done quite a few dodgy things with this refurb that I’ve had to pull them up about and they immediately fixed it once caught out but this one I’m less familiar with and not sure if what they have done is all in accordance with regs etc and the low water is just part and parcel of the new toilet etc??

Sponsored Links
You sure it is a vent pipe and not the cistern overflow pipe? What size was it and where did it join the toilet?

Hi just pumps.

I was told by the landlords surveyor it was a vent. It was quite old school so maybe things have progressed and what was the norm in 1978 may be less so now, lol

It joined from the main toilet pipe, through my wall and connected into the cross vent outside. It’s about 3 or 4” in diameter

Vent pipes on stacks were common in the Victorian era, but were gradually phased out over the years. Little need for it really today, I would suspect the lower water level is down to the design of the pan rather than anything else. If the pan starts gurgling, the level drops when not in use, or you get bubbles after flushing, then maybe needs another look, but provided it flushes and clears as required, it should be fine.

Sponsored Links
Ok thanks. The other issue I’ve just found out is they have used bonding plaster with stones mixed in ( that is now crumbling after 4 days) on the external wall to keep the main toilet pipe going into the main stack in place! Bloody plaster!!!

You couldn’t make this up!

Pipework should be self supporting, clipped to the wall to secure as required. Get them back to do the job properly.

Ok thanks. The other issue I’ve just found out is they have used bonding plaster with stones mixed in ( that is now crumbling after 4 days) on the external wall to keep the main toilet pipe going into the main stack in place! Bloody plaster!!!

You couldn’t make this up!
As the tenant are you sure you want to be kicking up a fuss?

Thanks Hugh. It’s not the small pipes you clip ( although they do need to do that too) it’s the main toilet pipe that is usually surrounded by brickwork or cement.

Just pumps: Being a tenant doesn’t mean they can do sub standard work, nor does it mean I have zero rights. I’m the one who is going to have to keep taking time off when it all goes wrong. They were supposed to rebrick the wall the removed the bricks from but they filled it with plaster that is used for skimming internal walls, as I type this I can see the plaster washing away in the rain, when you press it, it’s about to cave in soon, I’ve never seen such blatant cowboy work in all the years of being here, including filling an open hole in the wall with tissue in the hope I wouldn’t notice due to where it is located.

I can only assume people that have this view of “ooh maybe I shouldn’t kick up a fuss” are privately renting. Fortunately I have a practically air tight 20year old tenancy agreement that unless I’m in arrears, major and I mean will have to be major to the point of regular police reports etc they will not and can not evict me or do anything no matter how many times I complain.

I feel sorry for private renters if landlords are allowed to do such things.

Good for you and yes some private renters and landlords can be dare I shall say "dodgy".

Thanks Hugh. It’s not the small pipes you clip ( although they do need to do that too) it’s the main toilet pipe that is usually surrounded by brickwork or cement.

Soil pipes do need to be clipped to the wall too. ;) Saw a photo on social media earlier, of the large section of pipework that's come adrift and is hanging off the building due to lack of support!

Attachments

• No clips.jpg
    No clips.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 68

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back