Vented and unvented s plan components

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking to upgrade with s type control pack to control hot water and rads separately and would like to know the difference between the available control packs for vented and un-vented. i understand the difference between vented and unvented system but what is the difference between the components in the control packs.

1 x programmer
2 x 2 port motorised valve
1 x electronic dial room thermostat
1 x wiring centre
1 x cylinder thermostat ( not included in some unvented packs)

why do some unvented packs not have a cylinder thermostat included?
are the motorised valve the same in vented and unvented systems?
why do some unvented packs not include a cylinder thermostat?

Sponsored Links
Unvented cylinders come with their own thermostats...

Note the use of the plural.

If you know the difference between the two, then you also know that you need to be certified to work on them, which in turn means that you should know that they come with their own controls.

If you know the difference between the two, then you also know that you need to be certified to work on them, which in turn means that you should know that they come with their own controls.

What's the worst that can happen eh Dan :sneaky:

Sponsored Links
thanks Dan for your reply.

Just to be clear I am not a plumber or a heating engineer or do I intend to upgrade the system myself.

I have read enough to understand the difference between vented or unvented systems. The reason I posted was to hopefully get a better understanding of what is in place at the moment and to be sure that I am selecting the right and best upgrade path for my system.

As I said some control packs advertised for unvented systems have thermostats and some do not which is why I was curious to know the difference.

http://www.boilerpartscenter.co.uk/...ite-fp715-unvented-control-pack-22-mm-heating

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Myson-Mega..._SR160,160_&psc=1&refRID=RXK39CC8PX93RQ29TAC6

Why post up things you are thinking of buying in an attempt to understand what you already have? It makes no sense.

Tell us what you have; although, your installer will be better placed to advise you anyway.

Danfoss stuff is pants anyway. As is Myson.

A reincarnation of Water Systems??!!! Ah I do miss him, endless fun & took the bait like a good yin!!

Hi Dan,

If you are not interested in helping or have nothing useful to add to the discussion or conversion probably best not to take part in the discussion or conversation.

I asked
"why do some unvented packs not have a cylinder thermostat included?
why do some unvented packs not include a cylinder thermostat?"

Your reply
If you know the difference between the two, then you also know that you need to be certified to work on them, which in turn means that you should know that they come with their own controls

Just to be clear I am asking questions on this forum to open a discussion and to seek other peoples opinions and to try and get details and an better understanding of the options available before I upgrade my heating system, not to be shot down every time I ask a question.

A funny thing happened on the way to the forum...
I think I'll make that my sig :p

A reincarnation of Water Systems??!!! Ah I do miss him, endless fun & took the bait like a good yin!!

:?:

For anybody that may have similar question. These are the useful and informative answers received on other forums

All unvented should be fitted with a 2 port motorised valve. Linked through the cylinder controls.( normally supplied with cylinder. Nearly all will come with a factory fitted thermostat.
So these would be omitted on a pack suitable for unvented.

Wiring is virtually identical, the main difference is that unvented cylinders have a different type of thermostat which is usually supplied with the cylinder. It contains 2 separate thermostats in the same casing, the normal adjustable one and a second one which cuts out if the temperature is too high. If the second thermostat operates it has to be reset manually as that would normally indicate the first thermostat has failed. This prevents the water in the cylinder reaching dangerous temperature and pressure and causing the safety valve(s) to open.

Looking to upgrade with s type control pack to control hot water and rads separately and would like to know the difference between the available control packs for vented and un-vented. i understand the difference between vented and unvented system but what is the difference between the components in the control packs.

1 x programmer
2 x 2 port motorised valve
1 x electronic dial room thermostat
1 x wiring centre
1 x cylinder thermostat ( not included in some unvented packs)

why do some unvented packs not have a cylinder thermostat included?
why do some unvented packs not include a cylinder thermostat?

Brilliant. Have you thought about reading the instructions for the unvented? It's all in there.

As many of us installers will tell you, the instructions are only there to level the cylinder up. I would say 30% of unventeds I see haven't been installed as per, so kpw, you are on a roll already by just reading them.

If you look at the D1/D2 connections on other peoples units, you will see what I mean.

PS: Not all unventeds have to have 2 port valves; there are some manufacturer units that were approved alongside a boiler and use 3 port valves in this iteration.

Brilliant. Have you thought about reading the instructions for the unvented? It's all in there.

As many of us installers will tell you, the instructions are only there to level the cylinder up. I would say 30% of unventeds I see haven't been installed as per, so kpw, you are on a roll already by just reading them.

If you look at the D1/D2 connections on other peoples units, you will see what I mean.

PS: Not all unventeds have to have 2 port valves; there are some manufacturer units that were approved alongside a boiler and use 3 port valves in this iteration.

Since their introduction in the 80s I've never seen an issue with D1/D2s.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back