vented drains..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
redoing the bathroom, and part of plan the includes a durgo valve replacing the vent pipe, and hidden behind a cistern cabinet.

But, the guy who drewup the plans didnt seem to take note of whether or not our drains were vented elsewhere, which i believe is a necessity.

How can i tell if they're vented elsewhere? what do i look for? Its a detached house, on the end of a row.

Sponsored Links
Look for a 110mm pipe protruding from your roof, or some can terminate with a tile vent, which you may not notice have a look in the roof space for a pipe connecting to the roof.
Unless you have a large house, most properties only have one soil pipe, which in my opinion should vent to atmosphere, it is fine to use a air admittance valve if you have more than one soil pipe, as one vent per property is adequate.

only one vent pipe... the one thats currently attached to the soil pipe at the back of the toilet... this is the one where the durgo valve was going to be fitted.

So, i'm assuming then, that we cant use one on there? is this a definite no-no or just an advisory?

Sponsored Links
I would not fit an air admitance valve personally, but you should check with your building control, they may allow it.

If you are redoing the bathroom, why can't the vent remain.

the vent pipe is currently taking up a lot of space in the corner of the bathroom, with a boxed in section going up the wall... ideally we want to remove it, mainly because of looks but also be cause space is very very tight in there, and we need the extra 10 inches that that box section is currently occupying.

The area around the toilet/sink is being repalced with an 1100x1000 cabinet section, the durgo valve would have been fitted inside it.

So, we could fit an air admittance valve, but from what i'm reading people prefer not to... :)

The Durgo would have to be around a metre ABOVE the appliance it is serving so it is a no no anyway! :D

The sewer gases have to go somewhere if they are not allowed to vent to atmosphere, which is what you are proposing to do.

Suggest you phone BCO and they will give you the regs.

The Durgo would have to be around a metre ABOVE the appliance it is serving so it is a no no anyway!

aagh this is where the net trips utself up.. people are saying that it only need to be above the level of the highest overflow... you're the only one so far saying it has to be a metre above.

Who are the BCO? Buildings... something... office ?

BCO = Building Control Officer.

I can't remember the exact height but BCO will tell you and will also let you know if you can get rid of the vent. :D

The regs usually require that the last and first house in a run plus every third house in between must have their soil stack vent to atmosphere.

Theoretically you can put a durgo valve on as long it's 1m above the highest toilet outlet. This is so that it's above the height of any basin in the case of that toilet blocking. The only problem is that the durgo will not allow positive pressure release if that was required. You could end up with basin waste traps releasing foul sewer smells.

Best option if the soil stack pipe is using too much space is to replace it with 3in pipe to vent to atmosphere. this probably won't gain you much space. The other alternative is to take the soil stack externally.

The house is at the end of a row of 3, then they go round a corner at 90% ... but there are others on a right angle to us.. so i suppose its at the end, but maybe not.

We did think of reducing the pipe width , but i dont think it will be enough to get rid of the box section, although there is some space inside the wall cavity. The option of going outside was discussed also, but it would mean the pipe going up the outside of the house, which again would require the BCO to come out i think.

How long are we talking for a BCO to come out? Does it cost, are we talking weeks?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back