Vented Main Water Cylinder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Forum,

We should be grateful for your advice on
1) good brand for an Vented Main Water Cylinder (VMWC)
2) does WMWC need a cold water storage and can it be put in the loft as we have no space on the first floor
3) would it work well with Worcester System Boiler

Many thanks again for your help

Sponsored Links
Where possible I always fit the Plumb Center HE85 or HE120 fast recovery cylinders.

Never had no complaints or problems as yet.

Am I understanding your question correctly that you want to install a new boiler with a new open vent cylinder?

I think your getting your wires crossed a wee bit

Vented i.e from a tank in the loft

Unvented Mains fed -no tank mains fed hot water

Sponsored Links
Hi Gengasman , yes you are correct, we are planning to have a new boiler with a new vented cylinder. What we are confused is whether this is possible to have the vented cylinder in the loft. Do you have any view on MegaLife cyclinder.

Thanks all for your help

Am I understanding your question correctly that you want to install a new boiler with a new open vent cylinder?

I've found it cheaper to buy a different brand stainless unvented cylinder and chuck away the controls pack than to buy a megalife in the past.

Megalife is an open vented stainless steel cylinder, not an unvented.

An excellent cylinder, but at a price.

It could be installed in the loft, but the roof trusses would need reinforcing somehow and also the cold water storage tank would need to be higher then the top of the cylinder, so practical problems could arise, not forgetting the size of your loft hatch ;)

Hi Dave, thanks for your help. Could u pls advise the height of the cold water tank needs to be above the cylinder. Could a pump be used instead?

Megalife is an open vented stainless steel cylinder, not an unvented.

An excellent cylinder, but at a price.

It could be installed in the loft, but the roof trusses would need reinforcing somehow and also the cold water storage tank would need to be higher then the top of the cylinder, so practical problems could arise, not forgetting the size of your loft hatch ;)

TBH as I am a gas engineer and not a plumber, I cannot give you an accurate answer for minimum distances. Perhaps another on here will answer that precisely.

I have, however, worked on many systems where the bottom of the CWST has been only about a foot above draw off pipe on the top of the cylinder, and appears to always have worked properly.

Don't know about the pump scenario, but would say no.

Generally the higher the CWST the better, this will give more pressure from the hot taps. ;)

In stead of going though difficult and expensive problems to avoid having the cylinder downstairs, you would be quicker better and cheaper of with a combi.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back