Ventilation for central heating system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

My central heating system is in a cupboard which has a door with a vent into the kitchen.

A man cam round to service it and resfused saying I needed a vent in the kitchen to the air outside.

I cannot get an air brick in except behind a cupboard under the sink.

Is this suitable or can I put one in a window? (not a brick in the window but some sort of vent)

Any help you can give would be great

thanks

Sponsored Links
i take it you have an open flue appliance in the cupboard,if so you will need high and low vents to the cupboard as well as one outside with certain vent calculations required to be up to date.just sticking a few holes here and there wont help.

as holty says it isnt as simple as fitting "a" vent, it needs to be the correct size and be a suitable vent for gas, but you can get suitable gas vent which will go in a window, it needs a 13mm slot (by a length determined by boiler size) with the overall vent height about 24mm, the ones i used are made by slotseal forthright. you can also get one to fit in the glass of the window for either single or double glaszed unit

Hi All

thanks for your comments so far.

It is a Potterton Kingfisher II - open flue gas fired boiler

Ventilation comments in the manual are
"There should be two permanent air vents, one at low level and one at high level, both communication either directly with outside air or with a room or space which is suitably ventilated.

The boiler is currently situated in a cupboard situated in the middle of the kitchen with no connection of the outside wall.
The cupboard has a door which has a grill at the top and bottom and the boiler has a flue on top which goes out through the roof.

If I need a window vent in my double glazing is there a company that installs these?

thanks for any further help you can give

thanks

rob

Sponsored Links
if you have the manual for this boiler the ventilation requirements will be given, as per your description you need to look at compartment ventilation to a room, then combustion ventilation to outside, if you post the Heat INPUT (in KW) you will get one of us to work out what you need, as for getting someone to fit the vent, anyone who has a router, or drill and jigsaw can fit them as long as the frame is wide enough to take the vent

If you (op) mean a vent through the glass then I think you'll need a new sealed unit made with the vent in, or at least the hole for it, try asking in "wndows and doors"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back