Ventilation for gas hob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, could a gas Safe person advise me if this table (or the first row re gas hobs) is up to date please? Our house was built pre-2008, and is in England.
Many thanks
Screenshot_20231027_135315_cn.wps.moffice_eng~2.jpg

Sponsored Links
Thanks. Yes, it's at least 20m3, there's a window to the outside, and patio doors (although they lead into a conservatory)
I was concerned because I also saw this (attached) but maybe the new regs only apply to new builds?
Screenshot_20231027_175049_com.android.chrome.jpg

I should explain that we are selling our house and needed a gas safety certificate. The gas Safe chap said for the gas hob to pass, we would need to fit a trickle vent in the upvc window frame, because the patio doors open into a conservatory. Seemed a bit OTT as the kitchen is naturally drafty due to all the pipe work going through the floorboards under the sink!

Sponsored Links
No certificates of any kind are required for selling a house.

Sling the gas hob out and fit the cheapest electric one instead.
The buyers asked for one, not an unreasonable request, IMHO

It would be cheaper to refuse the trickle vent, if the regulations don't require it

I should explain that we are selling our house and needed a gas safety certificate. The gas Safe chap said for the gas hob to pass, we would need to fit a trickle vent in the upvc window frame
Pass what exactly? You’ve stated room >10 m3 and an openable window, does the window open to fresh air?

Hi, to pass the gas safety check. Yes the room is well over 10m3, and the window opens to fresh air.
At the time I didn't know the regs, so didn't challenge it. I will now, but wanted people who have the knowledge to confirm what I'd found online first. I wouldn't normally assume to know more than a qualified gas safe fitter.
Thanks

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
They’re not a pass/fail.
OK, I suppose he ment we needed to fit a vent in order for him to issue a certificate. He hasn't given us one anyway, as some expired smoke alarms need replacing first.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
If you have an extract fan ducted to outside you dont need any further vents.

If you have an extract fan ducted to outside you dont need any further vents.
No extraction to the outside. So are you saying that a kitchen larger than 10m3 with a window opening to the outside, in a house older than 2008 isn't enough, and the table in my op is incorrect?

No extraction to the outside. So are you saying that a kitchen larger than 10m3 with a window opening to the outside, in a house older than 2008 isn't enough, and the table in my op is incorrect?
what you have is perfectly safe and well within the regs whoever told you otherwise is struggling with a basic exam question . Do not use him again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back