Ventilation for L-shaped loft space

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our house was once rectangular, then we had a two-storey extension built on one side, creating an L-shaped house, and L-shaped loft.

Since then, ventilation and condensation has been an issue around the loft space, as I believe the air doesn't circulate the same way in an L-shape compared to the orignal rectangular shape. I get condensation in parts that never had it before. I know there is some air movement because I see cobwebs 'wafting' up there and I do feel a slight draft. However, condensation's happened a lot, and I don't think air is flowing properly around the whole space.

To add to the complexity the new section (2 yrs old) uses breathable membrane whereas old section (30 years old) uses bitumin felt. I've already added lap vents to both sections to try and help, and pulled back lagging from edges as best I can.

Should I consider adding a brick vent on front of new section - to draw air from front to rear?

Any thoughts on keeping L shaped lofts well ventilated? Thanks.

Attachments

• house-edit.jpg
    house-edit.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 26
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back