Ventilation - legal alternative to trickle vents?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm replacing existing Crittall Windows and also building an extension to which I'll be adding windows. I'll be fitting Aluminium windows in both cases.

Can anyone tell me what options, other than trickle vents, are legally viable methods for ventilation in each situation above (i.e replacement and new windows)?

Is a "night-lock" (where you can lock the window in a snecked/semi-open position) acceptable? Is there some flexibility allowed by the Building Inspector?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
The requirement is for ventilation. Whether the ventilation is in the frame or elsewhere is up to you.

There is no requirement for a night vent setting on the casements

Agree with Woody; there is a lot of miss-information about the need for both trickle vents & fire escape provision on existing builds & even new builds (although escape is important & should always be considered) from both DG companies, for obvious reasons, & some of the guidelines found on LABC websites. & security is a matter between you & your insurance company; it has absolutely nothing to do with LABC.

What you need to do is to read & understand the Building Regulations which will tell you exactly what you need to provide. Have a look at the relevant docs. Here;

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/england/professionals/en/1115314110382.html

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back