1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Temporary Trickle Vents

Discussion in 'Windows and Doors' started by cwhaley, 16 Sep 2021.

1. cwhaley

cwhaley

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I'm having a new extension and I'm currently ordering the windows. I know er need means of ventilation but I don't want trickle vents (ugly, noisy and inefficient) -- my preference for ventilation is locking the windows on the catch which we have been doing for years now with no problems. I know Building Control won't accept this however, and will probably want something like an air brick or a mechanical ventilation system which isn't preferred.

I've not mentioned anything to them and the BCO is a very approachable and friendly chap, but I was planning on simply sticking vents on the three windows in question and removing them when signed off! I'd rather that that fit them and have to cover with tape or foam.

What's the best adhesive for fixing them to UPVc frames? Can't think of anything that won't leave damage or is strong enough.

Last edited: 16 Sep 2021
  2. Sponsored Links
  3. freddiemercurystwin

freddiemercurystwin

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Try a a bit of Blu tack?

4. cwhaley

cwhaley

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I did wonder that, but didn't think it'd be strong enough to hold the weight of the vent and get a good adhesion to the window frame?

5. crank39

crank39

Thanks Received:
    Barbados
    Clear gel tape

• Like Like x 2
  6. Sponsored Links
  7. cwhaley

cwhaley

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Never heard of that looks like it might do the job actually.

8. crank39

crank39

Thanks Received:
    Barbados
    Its got great grab properties but when your done you can roll it off with your thumb, its like that blob of glue you get on the back of your new credit card

9. diy_fun_uk

diy_fun_uk

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I've always thought it strange that we pay thousands for noise reducing double glazing, and sometimes you realise windows don't completely give the 'sealed' sound. The culprit? Often trickle vents, usually cause the manufacturer/installer can't be ar5ed to run a thin bead of silicon around the vent which helps a great deal. But yes, properly installed or not, some of them are still cack at keeping noise out when closed.

10. phatboy

phatboy

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    A nice 3 or 5 chamber thermally broken window, with argon filled unit, and then you have to make a hole on the top, it's madness!

We went for MHRV when renovating, and so the extension we have just got permission for has been accepted without these rubbish window vents.

• Like Like x 2