Temporary Trickle Vents

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having a new extension and I'm currently ordering the windows. I know er need means of ventilation but I don't want trickle vents (ugly, noisy and inefficient) -- my preference for ventilation is locking the windows on the catch which we have been doing for years now with no problems. I know Building Control won't accept this however, and will probably want something like an air brick or a mechanical ventilation system which isn't preferred.

I've not mentioned anything to them and the BCO is a very approachable and friendly chap, but I was planning on simply sticking vents on the three windows in question and removing them when signed off! I'd rather that that fit them and have to cover with tape or foam.

What's the best adhesive for fixing them to UPVc frames? Can't think of anything that won't leave damage or is strong enough.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Its got great grab properties but when your done you can roll it off with your thumb, its like that blob of glue you get on the back of your new credit card

I'm having a new extension and I'm currently ordering the windows. I know er need means of ventilation but I don't want trickle vents (ugly, noisy and inefficient) -- my preference for ventilation is locking the windows on the catch which we have been doing for years now with no problems. I know Building Control won't accept this however, and will probably want something like an air brick or a mechanical ventilation system which isn't preferred.

I've not mentioned anything to them and the BCO is a very approachable and friendly chap, but I was planning on simply sticking vents on the three windows in question and removing them when signed off! I'd rather that that fit them and have to cover with tape or foam.

What's the best adhesive for fixing them to UPVc frames? Can't think of anything that won't leave damage or is strong enough.
I've always thought it strange that we pay thousands for noise reducing double glazing, and sometimes you realise windows don't completely give the 'sealed' sound. The culprit? Often trickle vents, usually cause the manufacturer/installer can't be ar5ed to run a thin bead of silicon around the vent which helps a great deal. But yes, properly installed or not, some of them are still cack at keeping noise out when closed.

I've always thought it strange that we pay thousands for noise reducing double glazing, and sometimes you realise windows don't completely give the 'sealed' sound. The culprit? Often trickle vents, usually cause the manufacturer/installer can't be ar5ed to run a thin bead of silicon around the vent which helps a great deal. But yes, properly installed or not, some of them are still cack at keeping noise out when closed.

A nice 3 or 5 chamber thermally broken window, with argon filled unit, and then you have to make a hole on the top, it's madness!

We went for MHRV when renovating, and so the extension we have just got permission for has been accepted without these rubbish window vents.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back