Ventilation of suspended timber floor with deadend

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 1930s semi-detached house. The property has previously been extended to both the rear and most of the side. The extensions have solid floors but the original rooms have suspended timber floors. I have attached a diagram of the layout. The orange crosses represent existing clay airbricks.
Due to the additions, there is no crossflow of air under the timber floor. I haven't lifted the boards yet to see the condition but the floor seems sound.

To provide vetilation, I was considering placing some ducting at the end of the 'deadend' and connecting it up an unused chimny near by (shown in green). In addition, I was planning on adding a couple of new airbricks to the side and replace the existing ones with greater flow plastic ones. I would then seal the chimney around the ducting, so only air from under the floor cold be drawn up the chimney.

Is this an acceptable way to provide ventilation?

The alternative would be to break out the concrete floors to lay ducting through to the back of the house, but I would prefer to avoid this if I can.

Attachments

• underfloorventilation.pdf
    127.3 KB · Views: 210
Sponsored Links
The rear extension was done in two parts, I suspect the first section was probably ducted but the previous occupier tended to cut corners some what.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back