Ventilation problem...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I am currently finishing off my loft conversion and found that one of my rooms fails the minimum required ventilation according to building regs.
https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200130/common_projects/17/extensions/7

Purge - this is achieved by opening the window. The opening should have a typical area of at least 1/20th of the floor area of the room served, unless it is a bathroom which can be any openable size.
The bedroom with a pitched ceiling has a floor surface area of 8.61m2.
So according to the building regs, divide by 20 and this should be the minimum the window opening should be...

so it's: 8.61/20 = 0.43

and the size of the window opening is:0.675x0.565= 0.38

so I am off by 0.10

the BO is measuring the rooms and keep talking about it, so he will find this out.

what are my options?

Buy a single ventilation system such as:
a Single-room ventilation system with heat recovery
Ventilators VENTS TwinFresh Comfo RB1

or?

Sponsored Links
Add some fitted wardrobes/cupboards to your plans.

Sponsored Links
You have an 8.6 room which you need to reduce to 7.6.

A 'fitted' hardboard wardrobe with an area of 1m2 would achieve this. Once the inspector has gone you may decide that an alternative wardrobe arrangement works better.

You have an 8.6 room which you need to reduce to 7.6.

A 'fitted' hardboard wardrobe with an area of 1m2 would achieve this. Once the inspector has gone you may decide that an alternative wardrobe arrangement works better.

Yes that makes sense. But do I have to get the cupboard fitted for their eyes, I don’t want to rush it … I would rather get the cupboards when everything is finished

Why not a bog standard vent fan for £40

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back