Ventilation requirements in large garages - A couple of Q's

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning on doing some work to a byre which is attached to the side of our farmhouse. At the moment, there is a single door + 2 windows facing onto the driveway running upto it. The plan is to change that to a larger barn door setup which would be wide enough to get a vehicle through into the garage space on the odd occasion I would want to do some repair work on it ( but not engine-running repair work)

As I'm specifying vehicle storage, I have to meet specific ventilation requirements ( which is fair enough ). The trouble is that whilst I'll only ever get 1 car into the space of the byre due to its layout and other stuff in the space, the overall footprint of the byre is >60sqm ... which in Scotland puts it into non-domestic building regs.

The non-domestic regs say that for natural ventilation, I'd basically need wall openings of approaching 4sqm ... I might as well leave not fit doors, and leave the place open. For mechanical ventilation, I'd need 6 changes of air per hour... again, acheivable without too much fuss.

My questions are ...

- Does ventilation have to apply 24/7 ? or does it only apply when the space is acutally being used such as me simply leaving the barn doors fully open when I'm in it? ( which would give a ventilation area approaching 6sqm ) then closing them when not. ( the design of the doors would leave significant gaps (3" etc ) top and bottom for trickle air flow when the place is closed up )

- Similarly, does mechanical ventilation have to work 24/7 ? of can it be selectively switched on when I'm in the space. I dont really want to have 400W of extractor fans running 24/7 killing the leccy bill.

I knowthat Scottish regs apply to me, but I'm just looking for general principles of whether it needs to be constant ventilation, or when space in use ventilation.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
fisha, Good evening.

Can I suggest a call to your local building Control office.

As with most interpretations the requirements will vary place to place and indeed within one area of a town.

Given you are applying for Vehicle Storage, with limited engine emissions. you could possibly emphasise storage rather than a working repair shop.

As an aside have you considered the Fire Risk of your proposed storage area?

Ken.

Lol, funny you should mention the fire aspect ...

I'll give the office a call tomorrow.

thanks!

Sponsored Links
Lol, funny you should mention the fire aspect ...

I'll give the office a call tomorrow.

thanks!

How did you get on with this? I've just found myself in the same boat, with 68sqm, and a need to put a 3.4sqm worth of holes in the wall for natural ventilation, or 6ACH mechanical ventilation.

I'm leaning towards mechanical ventilation, but just assumed I could run it when the building is occupied.

Am also in Scotland, in the countryside, fields all around me.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back