Venting a soil stack

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone
I have an internal soil stack that is creating a bad smell. The stack goes up in a small room near kitchen & ends through floor in bathroom directly into toilet. It is not vented anywhere. I have no room to bring it up in the bathroom to put an air admittance valve on. Can anyone tell me best way to go about it? That's if I need to at all. Cheers here's a photo of what I have. Right hand wall is an outside wall.

Attachments

• 20180214_115202.jpg
    20180214_115202.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 134
Sponsored Links
How is it causing a smell? Is it pulling (emptying) any traps?

You could swap that bend for a T and fit an air admittance valve on it.

First though, I'd smoke test it to see where the smell is escaping from.

If you have a smell on that section, then it's from a leak, but you'd see it. If it's going up through the floor, and then connecting to the toilet, then is the vent outside by any chance. If there is no vent anywhere, then there may me a weak seal that the bad smells are being pushed out of as the toilet flushes. Can you take connect a 40mm pipe off of a boss, take it up into the loft, and then fit an AAV on it up there.

Sponsored Links
Like denso says - with those wastes as they are it's most likely to be pulling their traps

Like denso says - with those wastes as they are it's most likely to be pulling their traps
Agreed, shouldn't have a branch connection within 750mm of an offset. And that offset would have been better made with 45s or less rather than 90s.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back