Venting bathroom fan through soffit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently had my bathroom refitted and sadly an extractor fan was overlooked.

I am thinking of having one fitted now, but I don't fancy kicking up a ton of dust by making a hole in the wall. An electrician is going to quote me for installing a vent above the shower with a fan in the loft. This will be ducted for about a meter and a half and vent out through the soffit.

Does this sound ok? I have read on some sites to avoid venting through the soffit. Also, would I need a specially rated fan if it's going to be positioned above the shower, or does this not matter if the fan itself is located in the loft?

Finally, would this job require a Part P electrician or could a non-part P electrician undertake the work?

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
hi, since the work involves taking a supply from the bathroom lighting or shower isolator with fusing then you will need to notify the work, hence part p.

If there is a loft above then an inline fan would be good and quieter, but dont just vent into soffit, you need to create an aperture with appropriate grill for the air to escape without condensing inside the soffits.

Also, be aware that the soffits may be made from asbestos, I have come across them a few times. Occasionally they are clad with PVC too, so it's not immediately obvious that it's there...

if you are venting via the loft, there is very likely to be condensation occuring in winter, so to avoid problems:

1) use PVC pipe and not the plastic concertina stuff
2) ensure a downward gradient towards the soffit.

Sponsored Links
We had problems with wind blowing steam from our extractor fan back into the soffit vents causing condensation in the loft. Check their position and maybe block one off either side of the extractor. Ours are continuous vents, so we taped it up for a couple of feet either side of the extractor.
HTH,
Brian.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back