Vents in the cement course where tile finishes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could i put in a few circular vents designed for facia boards in the mortar line which will fill up the underside of the slates where they meet the wall.

I have just finished my first roof and the final job is to cement up this gap all the way from the eaves to the ridge.

I have done one side today, so i wont be getting a good cross flow of air, but i have got breathing vent trays at the eaves. Plus used a klobber breathing membrane. So i think the roof is pretty well ventilated, but i was wondering if i could add a few vents in this mortar course?

Is this a bad idea ?

Sponsored Links
trevorbayliss, good evening.

Cant say I have ever seen this?

potential problem is that the circular vents will fix to timber but may have issues if you try to fix into cement?

Have seen gable end vents, generally at high level rectangles where a brick has been removed and a vent installed.

Ken.

Yes this is on the gable ends. Its the right side in the photo. I just need to cement up the underside of the slates. I thought about adding 3 circular vents, top, middle and bottom. They are 70mm in diameter and i might struggle getting them in, but could cut in half.

Attachments

• IMG_1087.JPG
    IMG_1087.JPG
    337.4 KB · Views: 166
Sponsored Links
In the verge you mean?

No. This won't be venting the roof void if that's what you was thinking, and will let rain in which is contrary to the point of a roof

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back