Verdigris

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 15mm gas pipe that has verdigris extending from a T piece along the pipe for approx 6 inches. The surface of the pipe was quite rough & I wondered if this is a form of corrosion & needs to be replaced or just oxidisation. The majority of it has cleaned off with scotch bite but a small section is inaccessible & I cannot really get to it to clean it thoroughly. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Most likely the flux wasn't cleaned off properly when the tee was soldered.
Once the acid in the flux has reacted with the copper pipe, it forms a green compound of copper, and the acid is used up in the process.
It shouldn't get any worse but because its a gas pipe I wouldn't leave it. If you can't get to it all with ScotchBrite, try washing the green deposits off with clean water. Inspect it say every few months, and if it doesn't get any worse, leave it. If the green reappears, or spreads, get it checked by a Gas Safe registered person, and replaced if necessary.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back