Veritas 8 Alarm - Blue strobe outside even when unset

How are the two bell boxes wired ? 2 cables to control panel or bell box to bell box ? If wired bell to bell you need to find out which has the two cables, look in loft ? Enter engineer programming , Go to bell box with two cables remove the strobe input keeping the two inputs still twisted together , does this stop the bellbox flashing ? If so now check the other bell box is it still flashing ? If so remove strobe input from rear bellbox, if it's still flashing leave the strobe input out and reconnect the front one ,

Sponsored Links
Thanks again for the quick reply.

So I believe both are wired directly to the board - each of the SAB terminals has a pair of cables twisted together going into them (I assume from the writing diagram it would only be single cable going into each of if it was just a single external bell-box?)

Ok even better take out the strobe wires split them if twisted together , go check bell boxes , if strobe not flashing , put one back in and recheck.

OK - getting somewhere now - I definitely think the theory of one box disrupting the other applies to this case.

Here are the results of changing the Strb terminal:

- Both cables removed and untwisted = Front bell box still flashes, Rear Bell box goes out

- A single cable in the terminal (I've tested both - same result) = Front bell box flashes, rear bell box goes out)

- Both cables twisted together and placed into the terminal = Both front and rear bell boxes flash

I'm guessing I now need to do something with the front bell box?

Sponsored Links
looks like its the one bell box, as suggested previously what happens when you take out the strobe connections.

Mark has gone through this with you and its been narrowed down.

Check for clean connections in each terminal, could be straggles going from the zero volts cable, however I be surprised if that just started up as you mention originally so I be looking at the pcb being faulty.

Which units did you have and how long have they been in?
odyssey 5 year warranty, Odyssey E range 2 year warranty.

Now we know it's the front bell box check that 0v is not shorted to strobe wire and finally ladders out remove the strobe wire at the bell box ( if it's still flashing now replace it )

Thanks for the replies guys.

Regarding the warrantry - the system was inherited with the house, we have no proof of purchase and we're coming up to yo bring here 5 years in March so I think it's safe to say it is out of warranty - I'm happy to buy a new one however.

Regarding testing if the 0v is shorting - am I looking for this in the board's terminal or bell-box (or both?).

Also, is am I looking for crossed wires between them or something else.

Thanks again for all your assistance - I am extremely greatful

Remove at panel front bell box wires ,0v and strobe wires ( it should ring outside ) put multimeter on buzz , put one probe on each wire , does it buzz ?, if not replace and 😃 get ladders out 😁

Hi Sparky,

This multimeter is pretty basic (a Draper DMM4) but it does have a resistance mode (omega symbol) that acts as diode test mode (which I think tests the loop continuity).

When I took the strobe and 0v out, the external alarm did sound and the multimeter remained at '1' in the diode test mode (for reference, if I touch the probes together is goes down to '0').

I also tested the voltage reading and this was exactly v1.00.

Would this mean it is or isn't shorting....or am I off base?

Further update I forgot to test both strobe cables.

When I have the red probe on the 0v and black probe on the strobe cables, it always shows '1'.

However, when I reverse the probes (black on 0v and red on each of the strobe cables in turn) one shows '1' and the other shows '-1050'.

Would this suggest one is shorting after all?

Ok then try this remove both wires again alarm sounds , now put the strobe wire in the 0v connection does the bell stop ringing ?

Ok just tried that - the answer is no; the alarm continues to sound when I place either strobe cable in the terminal.

When I replace the 0v cable, the alarm stops.

Ok does sound like bell box , one last thing to try is you should have a spare core if it's wired in 6 core, swop the spare one for the strobe input ... Worth a go

Hi Sparky - I'm happy to get a new bell box; regarding the last test, is that inside the panel or at the bell-box end?

Ahh - going to take a stab and say it's at the panel; the current strobe wires are black; there are spare red wires (still fully sheaves) coming from each separate cable and are unused / twisted together - shall I strip these wires and put them in the strobe terminal?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back