Veritas 8 - Help Please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I have recently moved in to a house that has Veritas 8 alarm system installed in it. I would be thankful (a lot) if you could help me with the following, as I am new to it. Advance appologies for any "silly" questions.

1. Is Veritas 8 a good alarm system?

2. If it is not, could you suggest an alternative option, please? Having read some comments on this forum I am not keen on wireless system.

3. The current alarm is not working adequatly as the TEMPER light comes up.
Please could you suggest possible reasons for that and how this could be sorted out.

I am having the meintenance contractor (that the previouse owner of the house used) round tomorrow to investigate the matter. But it would be nice to hear your view as I would like to learn about the system a bit.

Any help/advice is more than welcome.

Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Yes, the Veritas 8 is a good alarm.

The Tamper light can be illuminated for a variety of reasons; a broken or disconnected wire, the panel may have been opened, a detector lid may have been removed, a fault with the outside sounder, a remote keypad going offline etc.

Do you have the user code and the engineer code for it?

You might be better to get a local alarm company to fix it rather than a "maintenance contractor" unless by maintenance contractor you mean an alarm company that previously maintained it?

Paul

Texecom make some pretty good security gear, I started installing Texecom equipment quite a few years ago, and they have given me very little in the way of problems.

They do 2 ranges of panels, the Premier, aimed at Industrial, commercial and large domestic properties, and the Veritas this is more for the average domestic install (Pro & DIY)

As Paul has already stated, you will need at least the "User" code and to do any re-programming etc you will require the "Engineers" code.

The first thing I would do is replace the rechargeable battery inside the main panel (end station) and also check the condition of the sounder box, it's tamper switch and it's battery.

This on it's own may clear the Tamper light, if not you will need to check the wiring visually and / or with a multi-meter to find the tamper fault.

You do need to get someone who knows how a security system works, ask your maintenance man straight he may know the codes if he has been looking after it.

Hi Paul (pcaoulte) and SandyLyon,

Thank you very much for your replies. They are very much appreciated.

It is good to know that Vectris 8 is a good security system as I was thinking of relacing it. I might now concentrating on mending the fault.

I have managed to download the user guide, so I now have it.
However, I do not have the engineer manual. I might look for it on the internet. So if you know a webpage where I can get it from, I would be thankful.

I would not entertain to repair it myself, as my knowledge about electronics ect is very limited.
By the maintenance contractor I meant a chap who used to looked after the security system (ie. Annual maintenance ect). The previous owner of the house left me his details. He actually popped in this afternoon to have a look at it and he could not sorted it out and suggested to replace it. So, I am wondering if I should contact others (i.e. security companies about this).

Any advise would be great.
Aggie

Sponsored Links
The engineers manual won't be much use to you without the engineers code and if it's been looked after by an alarm company they are very unlikely to release the engineer code to you.

You could try ringing a few local alarm companies, asking of they have experience of the Veritas 8 and if so getting their opinion on repair or replace. Alarm companies tend to have their own preferred panels so beware that some might recommend replacement just because the Veritas is a model they don't normally use. It's a popular panel so you are likely to find a local company that know it.

If the fault is in the wiring, the sounder or a detector then replacing the panel won't fix it. A good alarm company should be able to locate the source of a tamper without much difficulty.

I can't really add anything more to what Paul has posted, and as stated, there is a strong chance that replacing the panel won't actually cure the tamper fault.

Ask him when the battery was last changed, (should be changed about every 4 years or so) also when was the sounder last visually inspected.

There is another thread on here were the sounder had water ingress and was causing a tamper fault on a Veritas panel.

If the panel has been locked then it's a scrapper.

Thank you for your valuable comments.

I will now ring around (as suggested) and try to find a company who knows the system. As I am not too happy with replacing it if it can be mended.

To be honest, I was not happy with his visit as it was a short one and it seemed to me like he wanted to go for the easy option (new system and more chash from me).

Once again, thank you for your comments.

Aggie

Dear SandyLyon,

Having looked at your location I have just had an idea.
Maybe it is not the brightest one, so advance apologies.

I have noticed that you are based near me (I think). I am based in Newcastle-under-lyme (ST5 4EY). If that is the case and if it is not too far for you to travel for business, please could I possibly contact you about the cost of sorting out the fault ?

Aggie

I'm located between Preston and Lancaster, so not really too local to you.

Any decent alarm engineer should be able to sort you out without too much of a problem.

I'd get 2 or 3 quotes / opinions before you commit to anything.

I hope you manage to get it sorted.

Sandy

I'm located between Preston and Lancaster, so not really too local to you.

Any decent alarm engineer should be able to sort you out without too much of a problem.

I'd get 2 or 3 quotes / opinions before you commit to anything.

I hope you manage to get it sorted.

Sandy
As above, unless the Eng code has been 'locked' (totally don't agree with this practise), crashing and reprogramming a Veritas is so easy, a replacement is so unnecessary.

If it is locked and you replace, get in writing that will NOT be done to the new system.

Very sharp practise.

Hi Guyes,

Sorry to trouble you with this again... but would you mind tellimg me how long (on average) it takes to crash and reprogram a Veritas 8.

I am asking as the maintenance chap came back to me and he strongly suggests a replacement.

Many thanks in advance.
Aggie

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back