Veritas R8 - Is it possible to program this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The alarm is finally wired, it took me 5 days!! working on it between jobs. Was a much bigger job than I had originally planned due to the taking my time to make sure it was very neat and problems with soft plaster meaning I had a lot of making good to do etc.

Anyway I have a minor issue, I wired an external speaker and when you set and unset the alarm is is very very loud! So loud in fact it will disturb next door.

However in some cases such as the alarm going off I want it to be very loud. Is it possible to program it so that when you set the alarm and unset it the sound only comes from the keypad?

I suppose an obvious answer would be to run the speaker from the siren output instead or do turn down the volume POT to minimum and use a sound bomb, but is there a way I could simply program out the unset/bleep from the speaker?

Sponsored Links
I'm not overly familiar with this panel, but can't you turn the volume pot all the way down? Most panels will over ride the volume control and sound the alarm tone at full volume, but as I said, not 100% on this panel. Also, you can't connect a speaker to the bell output.

Yeah of course I can't, as the bell output simply generates a current, and the speaker output generates different tones :) Was a blonde moment :p.

I didn't realise the POT was over ridden in the event of alarm condition, I will try it and see :)

Pot 11 will adjust low level volume.
A sound bomb is not a good idea, unless you want tinnitus.

So in easy terms at entry/exit and chime the levels can be adjusted in full alarm they revert back to their maximum.

Sponsored Links
Well when I was playing with it before it seems I have programmed it to do what I wanted. Now when I set or unset it, only the keypad bleeps and the speaker doesn't, but the speaker does sound if the alarm goes off :).

Also turned down the put to turn down other things :).

I think I already have tinnitus, I had to remove the bell box cover before to seal it a bit, and I put into engineer code thinking it won;t go off, but of course it still did :p Quickly learnt the 3 strobe flash method of disabling the bell box tamper though :D.

What else were you trying to turn down?
Turn it back up for the internal speaker.

Was just the unsetting/setting really. The rest of the tones will hardly go off and it does it will only be the odd beep. But 30 seconds of setting bleep at 3:30 AM while I come in drunk from a club would annoy the neighbours some what!

Buy a remote unit wire into as a key switch and no noise.
Take it back as not what you wanted get a panel with an external reader.

This is where system design comes into the issue :D

Its perfect now anyway the main speaker doesn't sound, the keypad is almost silent anyway just a very quiet beep nothing like enough to annoy next door :). Much quieter than the old one.

However I had simply ripped 100% of the old system out and started from scratch, ended up with two junction boxes instead of about 30!.

Well when I was playing with it before it seems I have programmed it to do what I wanted. Now when I set or unset it, only the keypad bleeps and the speaker doesn't, but the speaker does sound if the alarm goes off :).

Also turned down the put to turn down other things :).

I think I already have tinnitus, I had to remove the bell box cover before to seal it a bit, and I put into engineer code thinking it won;t go off, but of course it still did :p Quickly learnt the 3 strobe flash method of disabling the bell box tamper though :D.

Please can you share how you got this t0 work? (set or unset, only the keypad bleeps and the speaker doesn't, but the speaker does sound if the alarm goes off)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back