Veritas R8Plus - disabling power cut chime

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm hoping someone can tell me a way to prevent the system chiming every 30 seconds (or maybe 60 seconds) every time we have a power cut. The alarm system is at my mother's house, and she no longer has the mental faculties required to reset the alarm (or use the telephone to ask me to go over to her house to reset the alarm). Consequently, every time there is a power cut, she has to wait till I arrive to reset the alarm. Apparently last night it was going all night, and it was only when I arrived this morning that the chime could be stopped.
We have had the alarm serviced very recently, and the engineer told me that he was unable to turn off the power-cut chime, however he implied this was due to restrictions imposed on his company via their insurers...
So, is there any way it can be deactivated on a Veritas R8Plus? Any suggestions very gratefully received.
Thanks,
Mike

Sponsored Links
unfortunately, the only thing that can be done is automatically omit it when it comes to setting the system, that wont stop the chiming.

if the mains power is failing regular you may want to address that.

If you want to be able to mitigate it sounding a upgrading to a premier elite panel could do what you want.
Other than that you would have to put some kind of UPS between the Veritas panel and the incoming mans supply to the panel.

This would effectively make the panel see the mains power until the UPS fails.

Thanks Secureiam, I feared that might be the case. The power cuts are out of our control, it seems Northern Powergrid are having some problems over the last few months. I might get an upgrade priced up and then make a decision. Appreciate you taking the time to reply, thanks again, Mike.

I have a Premier Elite 48, so my advice may not work unless you change panels, but can you add a thingthing that'll let you use Texecom Connect. If you can you'll be able to monitor and reset the alarm remotely (I think, my box just arrived today so isn't setup yet). No idea how limited the Veritas panels are.

Sponsored Links
Connect is for premier Elite only.

Not convinced there is a good option on the R8plus.

In theory it may be possible to use the SW+ wired to the remote reset terminal and programmed for mains fail so while mains fail is present it will reset.

You could add a gsm or phone dialler that has an output and you could fire it and reset it remotely, but that has its own issues and you wouldn't be able to reset it permanently until the mains fail had been resolved.

However a gsm based dialler could cost more than a premier panel and keypad, along with you can turn off the mains fail beeping in many different ways. So it wouldn't bother your mum when it occurred.

depending on how many zones you have, ie more than 4 zones then easiest option would be a premier elite 24 poly plus a LCDP keypad, if however it was 4 zones, then a kit like kit-0086 may work out better value, more than 4 and up to 6 zones then it would depend on wiring of your zones.

`well it could work if router on UPS or Texecom have released the GPRS smart com , but it isn't compatible with the Veritas anyway.

I know this is an old thread, but you can stop the Veritas R8 beeping on a power cut if you enter a program mode.
Ie enter engineer code (1234 by default) and press PROG, then 05, then 6
That mode turns the tamper protection off, so you can remove the lid or pir sensor covers without triggering the alarm, but I think any other program modes work. Just press reset a couple of times when you want to set the alarm.
Usually these systems have the default setting where you can't set the alarm in a power cut, you can disable this with 1234, prog, 00, 8.
Just bear in mind though that if the battery runs out before the power comes back on then the alarm will trigger!

It is certainly bad practice to resurrect a 3 year old thread.

As for the information provided:-

05 is a test menu, and 00 a misc menu and 8 in that selection allows old veritas sounds on some panels.

The programming options have changed a little over the years and I don't have all the different variants to test to confirm exact functions and 05, 6 is the engineers hold off for the bellbox.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back