Veritas Rs Plus/Excel - Keypad and control panel 'dead'

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had this fitted about 5 years ago in a house that has been empty a lot.
I think something alive has triggered it before -full description below*

Recently the electricity has been turned off at the mains a couple of times for a couple of hours. Then I had the power off for about 6 hours...it kept making an intermittent chime which I think it is supposed to when the mains is off (it has always done that if I remember right).
When I tried to (part) set it, it seemed to not be working right - I was in a hurry so couldn't play with it and I was only leaving it overnight so I left it.
Apparently (a not very happy neighbour told me -so it might be a slight exaggeration) it went off for an hour the next morning. They also said it had gone off a couple of times in the last week. If it had (and it was my alarm - I keep hearing another one going off when I am there) it was doing it when it was only the door sensors set and pretty sure it hasn't indicated that an alarm has been activated -although workmen have been in at times but they know only to part set -I have only found it part set)
Anyway it is now 'dead' - no lights on the keypad or control box. There is power getting to the control box - a mains tester screwdriver lights up - I think it was on one side of the fuse (I didn't have the installation manual with me at the time or a multimeter). I will go back and check.
I suspect it will need a new battery whatever (although I will check the voltage on that too).
Help!!!
To change the battery am I right in thinking I need the boss code? I think the default is 4321 or 1234? I can't ask the installer if they changed it or if they did get the code/them back as they were also a friend of a friend and there has been a falling out...
Will it just be the battery? Could it be the mains fuse too? Why would it blow?
There is a tiny chance that I might have damaged a cable...I put a slightly longer screw in a wall where the cables could run - but I am pretty sure they don't - I would have to rip floor boards up to double check...and when I put the power back on it stopped chiming so I don't think it was on battery only power.

*I had a problem a year or so ago with the alarm going off in the evening - I put down mouse traps in the area the sensor had triggered the alarm (upstairs) and one went off but didn't catch anything (except a single black hair. The bathroom had been stripped out at the time - so 'open' soil stack thought it might be something bigger than a mouse -eek)
No more problems until a month or so ago when it started going off again in the evening. This time the downstairs loo had been stripped out and the floor boards were up - the triggered sensor was in the living room, a bit odd cos even though all the internal doors were open if it was a 'mouse' from that area it must have gone through one area and not set the sensor off. I put traps down, none were touched (one did get the plumber though!). No other signs of rodents...
Anyway I started part setting it - so it was just the door sensors active - plan was until the new loo had been fitted/floor back down -which it has now but still haven't got the courage to go back to full set just yet.

Sponsored Links
Obviously that was too long winded a post...
I have looked at it again - the mains fuse had blown - does anyone know why that might have happened?
Changed it (with the spare one in there) and I have power in RKP/control box. Engineer hadn't reset code - so that's all good.
The internal battery was dead - I guess it might just have needed leaving in there to charge it up - but as it is 5yrs old I have ordered a new one to be on the safe side.
But I left it with the mains on for a while and it must have recharged the battery in the bell box. At 10pm when I tried to turn the mains off it started going off -I had to turn the mains back on.
Read another thread where it says just let it ring for 15 mins until the battery is dead - but really reluctant to do that as I have upset the neighbours already. I've left it powered up, unset, with no battery in the control panel for now. But realise when I put the new battery in I'm going to have to turn the mains off - so it will go off. Is there a way around that?
Also the tamper light is on - but I think that will be pretty easy to reset when I've put the new battery in - am I right?

Faulty battery ....transformer gets hot trying to charge battery ...mains / transformer fuse blows ....replace battery ...no need to switch off mains ....

Thanks - that makes a lot of sense! I have ordered a new mains fuse so I have a spare - hope no other fuses have gone.
Just one thing - Will I not get electrocuted if I don't turn off the mains? Is there not some current going into the battery to recharge it - through the connectors?
Do I need to take any precautions?

Sponsored Links
Ok - I'll be careful. Will I not get a kick from them even though they are only 12V ? (memories of touching electric fences connected to car batteries as a child for 'fun')

To update ...battery arrived and fitted - no kicks (the wire to the battery terminals are insulated so no need to touch bare wire at all) - guess it helped that I didn't lick it ;)
For anyone else reading this - I set the alarm off replacing the cover of the control box - some kind of tamper alarm I guess. It was easy to silence once I got to the keypad - so only went off for a minute or so - but probably not something to do at 6am or midnight if you like your neighbours -or want them to like you!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back