vermiculite loft insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help! I have been spreading micafill vermiculite over existing thin fibreglass between the joists in my attic. Having almost finished the job, I happened to read in a Readers Digest DIY manual that to prevent condensation you first need to lay strips of aluminium foil between the joists, then put your insulating material on top of the foil. This advice is not repeated elsewhere so far as I can see. Am I OK to dispense with the foil? At this late stage, installing it under the vermiculite would be a problem.

Sponsored Links
Don't worry too much. First, have ventilation in your house so the mousture doesn't build up. Don't have the house too hot so the air is able to hold lots of moisture. Have plenty of ventilation in the roof space so the moisture is taken away.

The foil is supposed to stop the moisture rising into the loft, but if you don't try and run an overheated, underventilated house, you won't have much trouble.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back