Vermont Castings Intrepid Gas stove fire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My engineer is having difficulty finding parts for my gas coal effect stove.

I am looking for a thermocouple with interrupter for a Vermont Castings Intrepid Gas stove serial number 01224. The data plate also has other number 950/0096 and 63AN8790 if these are of assistance. I am loathed to scrap it for the sake of a cheapish component as it looks brand new. If one is not available for an Intrepid, would an Intrepid II part be interchangeable or alternative?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
The manufacturer no longer exists it has been sold on a couple of times since my fire was made. Vermont Castings still exists as a name, but its not the company that made my fire. I can't expect the engineer spending hours looking for the part, hence my question.

The manufacturer no longer exists it has been sold on a couple of times since my fire was made. Vermont Castings still exists as a name, but its not the company that made my fire.
Baxi is not the same company as it was 25 years ago, neither is Ideal; and the same is true for many others. But the current incarnations still hold spares for old boilers.

I get the impression that you have jumped to the conclusion that the current version of the company won't be able to help, so you haven't bothered to ask them. Even if they do not hold the part, they may be able to point you to a stockist of obsolete components.

Sponsored Links
You maybe correct, however there website says:-

SPECIAL NOTE TO VERMONT CASTINGS CUSTOMERS WITH PRODUCTS MANUFACTURED PRIOR TO JULY 2008:
Monessen Hearth Systems Company (MHSC) purchased the Vermont Castings brand from Canadian Fireplace Manufacturers Corp. (CFM) on July 25, 2008. MHSC is not responsible for information about, warranty of nor are we liable for Vermont Castings product manufactured or installed prior to that time. Information regarding those products should be requested from the original seller.

It is one of my lines of enquiry, but also trying the forum on the off chance someone else has had the same issue, or knew of a supplier, or a workaround, eg part from another model that would work.

You maybe correct, however there website says:-

SPECIAL NOTE TO VERMONT CASTINGS CUSTOMERS WITH PRODUCTS MANUFACTURED PRIOR TO JULY 2008:
Monessen Hearth Systems Company (MHSC) purchased the Vermont Castings brand from Canadian Fireplace Manufacturers Corp. (CFM) on July 25, 2008. MHSC is not responsible for information about, warranty of nor are we liable for Vermont Castings product manufactured or installed prior to that time. Information regarding those products should be requested from the original seller.

It is one of my lines of enquiry, but also trying the forum on the off chance someone else has had the same issue, or knew of a supplier, or a workaround, eg part from another model that would work.

CFM is now BFM (British fire Manf), following a buy out by the MD. They MAY help:
http://www.bfm-europe.com/contacts

Ask for tech dept - but don't mention me ;) You may get an "old hand" who knows.

The manufacturer no longer exists it has been sold on a couple of times since my fire was made. Vermont Castings still exists as a name, but its not the company that made my fire.
Baxi is not the same company as it was 25 years ago, neither is Ideal; and the same is true for many others. But the current incarnations still hold spares for old boilers.

I get the impression that you have jumped to the conclusion that the current version of the company won't be able to help, so you haven't bothered to ask them. Even if they do not hold the part, they may be able to point you to a stockist of obsolete components.

Most FIRE companies who take over an old one only support products current at the time of the takeover

Thanks, will give them a try.

I understand about thermocouples but never heard of a flue interrupter until the engineer mentioned it, he said that was faulty. Are they part of the thermocouple, or entirely separate?

Justin

I think I may have answered my own question, it looks like my flue switch which connects to the interrupter block is the faulty component. In the same way you can get generic thermocouples, can you get flue switches the same?

Thanks

Justin

BFM couldn't help. It's been confirmed here and from another parts supplier the burner in my fire is a BFM model, however they say they no longer supply parts, blaming their supplier, but wouldn't or couldn't confirm the name of the supplier.

It's the flue switch that is faulty but not sure if it is an overheat or gas spillage switch? The engineer established this is faulty by bypassing it to show the pilot remained light, then reconnected.

What do you think the chances of finding one sat on a shelf or an alternative that would work/fit with the same spec.

Just to confirm, I have no intention of doing this myself, all work will be done by my GSR Engineer, before the thread gets locked as happened on the plumbing forum! I prefer to have some knowledge of a subject, hence the queries, plus my time is cheaper in trying to source the parts.

It's the flue switch that is faulty but not sure if it is an overheat or gas spillage switch? .

Ot is a spillage cut out device, but works on thre principle that if heat is passing over it, the OH device detects it and interrupts (maybe) the thermocouple.The heat is actually the products of combustion. So the answer is it is both. sort of.

Has it been established that the fire is not actually spilling?

I presume and hope so, two GSR engineers have looked at it. There is no heat as the pilot won't stay light, the explanation is whilst the thermocouple is fine, the gas spillage switch is breaking the circuit.

I have gone round in circles today ACR are the current VC importers but do not cover older models before their involvement. BFM who where the previous UK agents no longer carry parts, and when I got home I had an email from VC in America directing me to ACR!

I need to find another gas spill switch that would work and fit. Any ideas?

Out of interest I contacted BFM again and asked for a Thermal Switch for one of the newer Intrepids - guess what I got the same stock answer, can't get the parts as they are obsolete, which is odd given I can easily find parts for Intrepid 2 and 3 on the internet, and they aren't that old a model.

Now I'm not cynical, but it appears BFM lost the import rights to Vermont Castings to ACR a few years back, and so there is no incentive for them to supply parts anymore. The availability of parts strengthens a brand, and as they have no involvement, it is no longer in there interest to do that. Makes me think more and more that if my fire has a BFM burner assembly as I am being told, then a BFM thermal switch as listed above should do the trick?

@justino, some notes to guide you in the right direction.

The part you require is a normally closed switch and breaks (opens) at 275 degrees F. (or 135c) It is of the auto reset type, it is listed as a "spillage switch". The stat is held by two small screws and has spade type terminals for the interrupter wires.

You will probably have to get an equivalent type like 'Klixon' or similar, i would try for a metal or ceramic (white) body and best ignore bakelite (black) body types, these on ebay look of similar style.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_o...H0.Xklixon+switch&_nkw=klixon+switch&_sacat=0

Have your spill stat removed from the stove and match as close as possible, do not go above the 275f degree limit.

Do not do this yourself but Instruct your RGI for advice about this.
good luck.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back