vertical crack between front door and first floor window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good afternoon everyone.

So a while back I noticed a vertical stepped crack, following the mortar line appear between the front door and first floor window, which was mirrored inside the house. no bricks were cracked at all, it just stepped up following the mortar. It was only a very narrow crack, maybe 8-10 bricks high, not very wide at all.
so a few months ago I got a diamond blade and chased it a couple of centimetres deep, then repointed it. A hairline crack has appeared again so am looking at alternative ways to fix the problem, possibly a crack stitch rod?
I don't think it is anymore than settlement, as we had a first floor extension a couple of years back and the crack doesn't appear above the window, only below it. The crack also isn't mirrored at the back of the house, no problem opening and closing windows or doors and it doesn't appear to twist at all, just a hairline crack.

So would a crack stitching kit be a good solution? Probably 2 or 3 one metre long stitching bars, polyester resin and then repoint. I really would prefer to get someone in to do it but guessing it would cost a fortune, not sure if anyone has an idea of what it would cost.
I could probably do it myself if need be.
Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Stitching is not fixing the problem. You need to determine what's causing the movement and deal with that, as that is the problem.

the problem is most likely settlement due to the first floor extension a couple of years ago. the crack only appears between the door frame and first floor window so pretty sure it's not subsidence.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back